I hate Nikon Jargon. Which of these lenses will work on a full frame Nikon?

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hate all the Nikon Jargon. FX/DX/G/S/D/AF/AS etc blah blah.
I currently have a D7100 - a mistake when I bought it, as I should have gone full frame. Too late now, but I enjoy my photography regardless.

So I have 5 lenses with it, as I may have mentioned in other posts. I am looking to upgrade to FF soon.

Which of them will work on a full frame such as D3S/D4
And what would be the effect of them on a full frame?

12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 AF PRO DX II - TOKINA
35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX AF-S DX NIKKOR
18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX NIKKOR
105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR NIKKOR
55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR - NIKKOR

Also, do we think the new Nikon DF will allow any of these lenses to be attached?

I would consider expanding your lens collection to not include a majority of DX lenses before you upgrade to full frame.

That doesn't really answer my question ... which of them would work properly on a full frame, and what would be the effect of the others?

From what I read, I believe those DX lens can still be mount on the FF Nikon camera and use the crop mode. Please correct me if I am wrong. But course, as Taylor said it is better with a lens that can take advantage of the FF sensor.

That doesn't really answer my question ... which of them would work properly on a full frame, and what would be the effect of the others?
What he tried to tell you is the Nikon lens that has the "DX" notation means that is designed for cropped sensor body.

They will all work on a Nikon full frame.

Nikon's full frame cameras automatically detect that a DX lens has been mounted, and then only use an APS-C size portion of the middle of the FX image sensor.

That feature can be turned off so the full FX image sensor is used with a DX lens. DX lenses will leave a vignette of varying size on the FX sensor because a DX lens projects an image circle to small to fully illuminate a FX sensor.

As far as the DF, I expect the flange focal distance to be different from the current DSLR cameras. If that is what Nikon does, an adapter will be required to use current lenses on a DF.
The Nikon 1 also has a different FFD (17 mm) from all of Nikon's DSLR cameras (46.5 mm).

Lulz

But Tyler did answer your question. Stay away from the DX if you're going FF. Simple searching on this site of "DX vs FX" (or something to that affect) would answer your question. Or even googling... Had you paid attention to that jargon you hate I think you would have not mistakenly bought a DX camera when you meant to purchase a FX camera.

Besides, what's the DX not doing for you that you think FX will do for you?

And, if you 'upgrade' to FX, you'll be replacing four out of five of your lenses.

Your 105 is the only one that will give you full cover on a fullframe

Your 105 is the only one that will give you full cover on a fullframe

Yes, if you go full frame, you will only be able to keep one lens.

All of the lenses will "work", but will vignette.

Why do you think you made a mistake with the d7100? Did you not know about full/crop when you bought it?

Just plan on upgrading everything.

Go to a camera dealer, or from Nikon online request the Lens Catalogue. On the last page is a table showing every lens they make and specifications such as Max Aperture and Filter Size. And also whether the lens is FX (full frame) or Crop Sensor (DX).

Well, a mistake when it comes to forward thinking.
I knew about full/crop, but didn't think about the sensitivity to light, and the noise levels. So when I got the 7100, I enjoyed it and bought for THAT camera. Not for the future.

Don't get me wrong, I love the D7100 and I am prepared to spend when I move up to the FX - but I was curious as to which would "work", and what effect they would be.

I was half expecting a reply along the lines of "Oh, the 35mm will be more like a wider 50mm and you'll get some vignetting" - for each lens - but I realize not many people will be running my lenses on an FX body.

I digress - there has been some good, interesting replies and I appreciate each of them.

I was half expecting a reply along the lines of "Oh, the 35mm will be more like a wider 50mm and you'll get some vignetting" - for each lens - but I realize not many people will be running my lenses on an FX body.

if you want these sorts of replies... Your 35mm will frame a shot like you 10-24 @ 24mm on your current body.

OK, cool, see that's the opposite way of what I thought. So I am glad I asked :)

KEEP in mind: the D3 series, and the D4 both offer the 5:4 AKA "8x10 inch" aspect ratio capture as an in-camera option, and that can make "some" DX lenses fill almost the entire capture area with only the very tiniest bit of light fall-off at the very corners of the frame. This capture aspect ratio is only offered on Nikon's true "pro bodies", so it's not all that well-known by users of other FX Nikons.

The degree of coverage of a zoom lens can vary; many wide zooms will NOT cover the full FX frame at their shorter lengths, but will at longer zoom settings. A good example is Tokina's new 12-28mm zoom, which is designed for DX sensor cameras, but which full covers 24x36mm sensors from 18mm up to 28mm...and again, it's labeled and sold as being a "DX" lens!

It's been a while, but as I recall, I think the 35/1.8 AF-S G covers the D3's 5;4 capture area almost fully.

You would want to turn the DX AUTO-DETECT setting to "OFF" if you want to use DX lenses on either the FX or the 5:4 capture sizes in a D3 or D4, otherwise the camera will automatically switch to its DX-crop-mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back