I have a couple of questions.....

Kimber57

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so I've taken these pictures of my daughter. I've learned a couple of things already -- don't fill up the frame with the subject or it will be partially cut off when you get the photos printed....is that normally the case? Don't over-process the skin when you are covering blemishes, because it looks really FAKE printed out. I've learned that lesson and will be re-processing the originals to make them look a little more natural.

My question is -- how MUCH border area should I leave around photos that are meant to be closeup? So that when they're printed, the top of the hair won't be cut off? ALSO, when I decide to print a lovely portrait, what kind of photo paper should I ask it to be printed on if I get it done at a nice photo print shop?

Here is the type of picture I am talking about -- I'll give a couple of examples.......I love the pictures, but I should have taken into consideration the printing of the picture......I'm told that if I want to enlarge them, some of it could be cut off in the process........true?

tn_2009_0321ensemble09134modified.jpg

tn_2009_0321ensemble09104modified.jpg

tn_2009_0321ensemble09106modified.jpg

tn_2009_0321ensemble09132.jpg

tn_2009_0321ensemble09138modified.jpg

It shouldn't be, however if you want what you see their, you can only print at the exact ratio your camera shoots at, so if it is 5:4, you should print 8x10s.

Yes, photos are not automatically cropped. However, your camera shoots at a particular aspect ratio, which means the ratio of the short side of a photo to the long side. Many many digital cameras have a 2:3 aspect ratio, which means that you can make 4x6, 6x9, or 8x12 prints (for example) which will not be cropped.

However, as we all know, the absolute standard for portraits is the good old 8x10, which is a 4:5 aspect ratio. Higher-end dSLRs can shoot at that size if you ask them nicely, but many other cameras can't.

So, if you want to shoot 8x10's (and assuming that your camera shoots 2:3, which it seems to from your examples), imagine (when looking through the viewfinder) that your image is divided into about 6 equal pieces along the longest side. Now imagine that the topmost or bottommost piece has been removed. That's what cropping will do to the image -- now shoot with that in mind.

My D700 lets you shoot right at 5:4, I dont know if yours does.

If i doesn't shoot with more on all sides, crop to 54 on PS.

Thanks for all the helpful information!! I appreciate it.

Now, is there a particular photo paper that is better than the rest? Or is the resultant print more about the printing process than the actual photo paper?

Now, is there a particular photo paper that is better than the rest? Or is the resultant print more about the printing process than the actual photo paper?
That's like asking if there is a particular fabric that a dress should be made of....if you get my meaning. There are plenty of paper choices...and it's a personal choice.
I suggest having your prints done at a good lab. It's their job to make good prints and the costs aren't much more expensive than doing it at home, once you figure in the costs of good paper & ink etc.

There will be a difference in the image depending on if you chose to print on Glossy or Matte.

Glossy seems to give more contract in the image while Matte seems to be a bit softer. Many go with an in-between, sometimes called Satin or Semi-glossy. You will often leave finger prints on glossy paper.

It seems that Matte or Semi Gloss is preferred for portraits / weddings, so you might want to consider this when printing pictures.

beautiful girl.

i dont know if you wanted C&C or not, but 2 and 3 seem pretty dark to me, and a bit overprocessed as well. the skin looks a bit too soft on these 2 images.

good shots overall.
prom?

If you go to a good photo lab, they should be able to print the images at whatever size you want; to include your entire framed shot in without cropping.

Then, get a photo mat cut for your photo to fit in the next size up or larger frame.

With the photos you show though, you aren't even leaving enough to allow for the fit into a frame.........

Again though, a good lab can mount your photos on a mounting board.. If done nicely and then put in a matted frame, it will appear as a pleasing window-box effect and you will have the entire frame as you shot it..

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, you need to crop them down to the intended size to print, but...

don't fill up the frame with the subject or it will be partially cut off when you get the photos printed
This is true in part even when you have cropped them properly. Contact your intended print house and ask them what allowances they have for drift as the paper's headed through the printer. (I use MPIX and they say allow for a 1/8" drift, or about 2% depending on the print size.)

Also:

Glossy seems to give more contract in the image while Matte seems to be a bit softer.

Prints on metallic paper have this awesome contrasty, shiny quality that really serves many images well, but if you're close to clipping levels in the image itself, they'll appear clipped and blown out in the print. I've had mixed results with fleshtones and awesome results with landscapes.

beautiful girl.

i dont know if you wanted C&C or not, but 2 and 3 seem pretty dark to me, and a bit overprocessed as well. the skin looks a bit too soft on these 2 images.

good shots overall.
prom?

Why, thank you very much, and I totally agree with your assessment!! I learned about the over-processing when I had a few small prints made just for the purpose of seeing what they would look like in print form -- and I was appalled at the look of those two in particular!! There are a few others that I over-processed, as well. I definitely learned a lesson there, and thanks for confirming that!!

I wasn't particularly looking for C&C, but I ALWAYS welcome it, believe me!!. SOOOO, have at it, anyone who wants to C&C!!! LOL

The situation was that my daughter performed on piano at the University, and it is a formal affair. We had her hair all done up for the occasion, so we had to take the pictures after the performance, which means that those photos were shot about midnight -- so she was a pretty good sport, I'd say!!

Again, thanks for the information from everyone. I think I'm going to have several prints made different effects -- the satin, the matte, etc., and see what happens. Now that I know some of the terminology, I won't look completely stupid when I ask for something!! Thanks again!!

If you go to a good photo lab, they should be able to print the images at whatever size you want; to include your entire framed shot in without cropping.

Then, get a photo mat cut for your photo to fit in the next size up or larger frame.

With the photos you show though, you aren't even leaving enough to allow for the fit into a frame.........

Again though, a good lab can mount your photos on a mounting board.. If done nicely and then put in a matted frame, it will appear as a pleasing window-box effect and you will have the entire frame as you shot it..

Thank you very much!! And after having a few test prints done (small ones), I see what you mean about the framing. STUPID!! I wish I had thought of that!!! GRRRRRRR......You are totally right, though. I will definitely have the photos matted, and I hope they can print them without cutting anything off. I have definitely learned a lesson there...leave more border........grrrrrrrrr. Live and learn, I suppose.

Thanks again!!

As has been mentioned, you need to crop them down to the intended size to print, but...

This is true in part even when you have cropped them properly. Contact your intended print house and ask them what allowances they have for drift as the paper's headed through the printer. (I use MPIX and they say allow for a 1/8" drift, or about 2% depending on the print size.)

Yes, like I mentioned somewhere else, I learned that lesson too late for this particular photo shoot, but I'm going to see what can be done to NOT cut off any of the picture......STUPID STUPID -- I should have thought of that. I am so irritated with myself over that. But I love the photos for the most part.....she's pretty easy to photograph, for sure. It's the photographer that needs work!! HA HA HA

Thanks again so much for your attention to this. I do appreciate the comments!!!

Most reactions

Back