I have a legal question

CloverMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not even sure what to name this thread nor am I exactly sure if this is the correct place to post but..... I have a question.

I know you should have permission to go onto someones property to shoot photos. Is there a law about shooting peoples property if you are not on their land but taking photos of their things. Example: I have driven by several scenic landscapes that I'd love to shoot: lakes, trees, barns, exc. I'm obviously not publishing these potential photos or making money off of them in any way. So, if I'm shooting these things from the street, am I doing anything wrong or illegal? Should I still obtain permission? And then just because I'm curious, what if the images are being sold or published, is it legal to do so without permission if you are not on their property? Again, just out of curiosity. I live in a very rural area so standing in the street capturing a few photos wouldn't disrupt traffic nor would it be risking the safety of anyone.

Whatever is out in the open that can be seen or photographed from public property is fair game and you do not have to get permission to look at/photograph.

Some rural roads aren't public property.

In general, images made of private property that is out in the open can be sold and/or published without the permission of the property owner.
http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

That was a very good question. Good to know.

Problem is where I am from is that people tend not to call the law but rather deal with things in their own way. Thus I do not take many photos of private property.

All of that above advice notwithstanding, it's never a bad idea to ask permission. You never know when that will lead to something even better.

Thank you for all the replies. Most cases it wouldn't be a big deal to ask for permission as everyone pretty much knows everybody in this town. It's just a few that I'm not too sure about. I live within walking distance to a state park so there are several places along the way to capture. Beautiful fog off a pond with a rustic 50 year old barn in the background exc. I love living out here :) It's beautiful. I can't wait until Spring.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back