I have a small proposal....

triggerhappy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I think it would be really great if we could add titles to our competition photos. It strikes me that a title to a photo can really help the viewer understand the concept in the mind of the photographer. I don't mean physically on the photo, but below it, next to the photo number.

What do you all think?

Chase said:
Twist may want to shoot you for the idea, but it sounds ok to me. :)
haha... I don't think it would be too hard to do on Twist's part... maybe... I really don't know..... oh well.... I think this is a cheap post.... never mind.... :?

It is an interesting idea, but the big thing is that I really doubt that most people would include a caption and unless they all had one I wouldn't want to go with it. Surprisingly quit a few people don't include their usernames when submitting photos let alone including some kinda caption or explanation.

I'll edit this month’s challenge post and ask people to title their photos if they like. If enough people do so I'll consider adding the titles in when posting the submitted photos.

doesn't it depend on the photo and the style of the photographer? I like to not label my photographs as I believe they speak for themselves. I may say something obvious about it like "man knee deep in mud" but you would know that by looking at the photo. Personally I wouldn't care if mine (unlabeled) was next to another labeled photo.

That's how I feel. I like to label some of my pictures, but certainly not all of them. For me, the ideal situation would be if we were allowed, but not compelled, to label them.

What if we had another contest to name the winning photo of the month before??

Personally, I think this contest is all about the photography...not the naming of the photography. But, if I ever decide to enter one of these contest, I wouldn't mind if someone else titled their photo while I didn't.

But it's already been titled. Last months winner was titled "Imperfect" as were all the entries, no?

JackTheTripper said:
But it's already been titled. Last months winner was titled "Imperfect" as were all the entries, no?

This is very true. And for this month's submissions the only title needed should be "Black & White". So your label is already picked for you, you just need to conform to that label. This is basically how I viewed the spirit of the contest.

How about adding a small black or white line at the top or bottom of your image and use Photoshop to add your title there? Twist wouldn't have to worry about copying and typing titles and people who wanted one show it to people when they view the image.

A theme is not the same as a title.

I may have a photo that fits into the theme "mysterious", but I want to call it "Darkness" or something. I titled my last entry into the contest for B&W. It didn't say you couldn't. It said images must be free of distinguishing watermarks.

It's up to each individual photographer to title a work if they so desire. I enjoy giving titles to my photos.

Most reactions

Back