I have about 1600$ to spend.

I guess my answer would be based on how much Canon gear your brother owns, and whether or not he's going to be willing to share with you back and forth. If so then pretty much any Canon DSLR would do the trick for the type of photography you mentioned, unless your willing to go full frame I'd probably save money on the body by going with something like a T3I and put more into the lens, tripod, a remote trigger, etc.

If your brother doesn't have much in the way of gear, etc and your going to stick with a crop sensor I think in the long run you'd actually be happier with a Nikon. Their crop sensor bodies will give you better results for astrophotography, they have much better high-iso to noise ratio's because of their better sensors. Something like a used D5200, again with a good lens, tripod and remote trigger would probably work great for what your after.

80D will not be a huge step up from the 70D but it should have a better low light performance and that's already a reason to get it.
The 70D is not exactly an amazing low light beast so any improvement will be good and I think you should expect a nice improvement between these 2 models.
Again if you are only limiting yourself to Canon I would go for the 80D, I think it should be worth the wait.
As for when it will be available in the Middle East, I don't know but I assume once Canon release a model they release it about same time world wide.

I'm trying to be not as biased towards one company over the other, its just I've used Canon ever since, I've tried the 1200D, the 700D, and my friend's 70D, and thats why I'm so used to Canon.
I'm willing to use Nikon, I've seen some comparisons between the D7100 and the 70D, also I looked at the D7200, and I can say that the D7200 is really promising, one thing I hate about it tho is the fact that it doesn't have the articulating screen.

and one good thing also is the fact that here, Lenses with Nikon mounts are usually cheaper.
Well I would direct you toward Nikon but you pretty much sounded like you are interested in Canon only.

Nikon D7200 and D5500 currently have the best crop sensor in the market.
Dynamic range and low light performance is class leading
D5500 is a lower body then the D7200 but it has an articulating touch screen and is about 300$ cheaper then the D7200
D7100 should be about same price as the D5500 and if you are lucky you can get it even cheaper.

I admit I am a Nikon fan body so I am biased toward Nikon so you will not be surprised if I would tell you I would rather get the D7200 over the 70D or 80D, only reason I would want a D70/D80 is if I was mainly using these cameras for video.
Still the 70D and 80D and very good effective cameras and they will get the job done.
And as I said Up till now if I would to choose a Canon APS-C camera it would be the T6S but now that the D80 is coming out it would probably be the 80D

I just got a 7Dmkii w/ 18-135mm 'open box' from Adorama. It was under $1500. Has full warranty. I believe that deal is still available. If so there is not a better deal on the planet right now.

Unless the OP shoots sports a refurbished ful frame 6D ($979) and a wide prime might be a better option for astro photography

Sony cameras and lenses should be considered when deciding brand dedication. I would use nothing but Sony equipment because it is the best bang for the buck you can get.

Sony cameras and lenses should be considered when deciding brand dedication. I would use nothing but Sony equipment because it is the best bang for the buck you can get.
A7R II 3000$
Sony 24-70mm 2.8 Around 2K$
Sony 70-200mm 2.8 over 2K$

Not exactly affordable but if rumors right it is a good set up.

I'm willing to use Nikon, I've seen some comparisons between the D7100 and the 70D, also I looked at the D7200, and I can say that the D7200 is really promising, one thing I hate about it tho is the fact that it doesn't have the articulating screen.

and one good thing also is the fact that here, Lenses with Nikon mounts are usually cheaper.

I love my D7100, but if the articulating view screen is an issue you might want to take a look at the D5200. I shot a D5200 for quite a while, the image quality is first rate and for an APS-C sensor the lowlight capabilities are also top notch. It won't have some of the bells and whistles that the newer 5300 might have but if you can live without GPS they usually sell pretty reasonably used.

what do you think about the Samyang 10mm 2.8?

I don't like the the look of those Samyang lenses. You get what you pay for. The reviews I looked at - the sample photos - look to me like pictures made with a cheap, early 1980s lens; weak, bland color, unconvincing sharpness/contrast, CA.

what do you think about the Samyang 10mm 2.8?

I don't like the the look of those Samyang lenses. You get what you pay for. The reviews I looked at - the sample photos - look to me like pictures made with a cheap, early 1980s lens; weak, bland color, unconvincing sharpness/contrast, CA.

I shoot RAW mostly, so I think when it comes to bland colors and low contrast images can be worked with.
I think its much better than the 10-22mm from sigma or the canon 10-20mm, also I like the fact that its an F2.8 rather than f3.5 or f4.5

Most reactions

Back