I have focus issues

columbus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm pretty new to the whole manual focus thing and I'm getting pretty frustrated when I get my prints back and what I thought I was focusing on is not what shows up in the print.

I'm trying to use the split screen focus, but I don't know if I'm just impatient or don't know what I'm doing

Does anyone have any tips on manual focus? I imagine it just takes frustration and practice to get it right.

What camera are you using and how are you using the split-image focusing aid?

You may not have a focusing issue.

Perhaps it's a missalignment of the focusing screen to film plane? It is an old camera n the foam n mirror bumpers may be rotted?

Another focusing problem is diopter. Do you wear glasses?

Another possable cause can be you are choosing a very shallow ƒ-stop, the DOF is so critical you are not getting what you had expected?

Lets see what you are talking about, post a pic?

You may not have a focusing issue.

Perhaps it's a missalignment of the focusing screen to film plane? It is an old camera n the foam n mirror bumpers may be rotted?

Another focusing problem is diopter. Do you wear glasses?

Another possable cause can be you are choosing a very shallow ƒ-stop, the DOF is so critical you are not getting what you had expected?

Lets see what you are talking about, post a pic?

The camera I'm using is a Ricoh KR-10. It seems to be in fairly good condition, despite some dust in the viewfinder. I do wear contacts, but I don't think the camera has a diopter adjustment. I usually try to use the middle part of the focus screen dot with the split image. I find it difficult to be precise using the little dots around the middle circle.

It is quite possible that it's a dof issue since I do use f2.0 a lot since I shoot with low light a lot. I think I'm just being inaccurate.

Here is a a pic- I thought I was focusing on the newspaper things, but apparently not.

28200860606pmhx8.jpg

And, you're adjusting focus to bring the 2 halves of the split image
so they line up properly, right?

And, you're adjusting focus to bring the 2 halves of the split image
so they line up properly, right?

Yes. In some cases, it's hard find a line in my subject to line up though

you're gonna hate this, but i love that picture! it has a feel you just don't get on purpose (unless you use a lomo/toy camera).

but i could see how this would be very frustrating with any other subject.

i'm sorry i can't be of any help with the problem, though.

you're gonna hate this, but i love that picture! it has a feel you just don't get on purpose (unless you use a lomo/toy camera).

but i could see how this would be very frustrating with any other subject.

i'm sorry i can't be of any help with the problem, though.

I actually like the picture too, but it's the only example I have scanned.

Imagine two people in a row. I focus on the person in the foreground, but the person behind her is in focus in the print. It's very frustrating considering the picture would be great if it came out the way I planned.

Sounds like the lens may be at fault. Do you have another lens you could try
on that camera?

Sounds like the lens may be at fault. Do you have another lens you could try
on that camera?

I have two other lenses that I've tried, but still the same problem. I know the problem must be me, I just was wondering if anyone had any kind of focusing tips

Maybe get a low frame count (so you don't waste a whole roll and/or money), test roll of film and do some controlled tests. Focus with different lenses on the same subject in controlled lighting. If all your shots are coming out backfocused, your focus screen inside your camera might be out of whack... how many of your shots per roll are out of focus?

Maybe get a low frame count (so you don't waste a whole roll and/or money), test roll of film and do some controlled tests. Focus with different lenses on the same subject in controlled lighting. If all your shots are coming out backfocused, your focus screen inside your camera might be out of whack... how many of your shots per roll are out of focus?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a low frame count? I'd say about 1/4 of the roll comes back out of focus?

Thanks for the help everyone!

I have two other lenses that I've tried, but still the same problem. I know the problem must be me, I just was wondering if anyone had any kind of focusing tips

It shouldn't be that difficult. It may be a problem with the camera such as
a faulty pressure plate or misaligned lens mount.

I would suggest putting the camera on a tripod, open to max aperture,
take your time and focus on relatively near targets with an easy to
see line that can be focused on.

If it still won't focus properly, try another camera. :)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a low frame count? I'd say about 1/4 of the roll comes back out of focus?

Thanks for the help everyone!

What I meant by 'low frame count' was maybe a 12 exposure roll, instead of a 36.. they're cheaper to buy and process.

Well what do you expect form ƒ2? try using a faster film n playing with more DOF. I'll bet your pics will be much sharper n it's not focus problem after all, you're using a wide open lens.

Oh BTW... something I just thought of... have you checked to see if the iris is closing on each n every shot reliably? Old cameras tend to stick if not used or serviced at least once every 20 years.

Most reactions

Back