i have heard of this but i am unaware if it is true?

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have been learning d-photo for about 6 months now and i like to think i have a good eye and know all the functions of my cameras. i really want to shoot manual and i heard there is a formula for doing so? Anyone have any info on this?

As far as I know there are formula rules such as the Sunny 16 Rule which give you approximate settings for different shooting conditions and that there is also a mathematical relationship between the three key settings of an exposure - ISO, shutter speed and aperture.
A lot of this is from the older days of film photography when you had external camera meters and no through the lens metering (which pretty much allmodern digital cameras have).

Whilst I am not discounting these methods I would encourage you to learn how to use the tools the camera gives you - the meter and the histogram - to give you your exposures. I would strongly recomend getting and reading the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson for a good introduction to controling these 3 settings and how to use them to give you a correct exposure - this is important because for any scene before you there will be a range of different settings you can use - all of which will give you the correct exposure - but each one will give you a very different shot.

eg - lets say your tripod mounted so that handshake is not a problem and that your shooting a waterfall.
You could pick a nice slow shutter speed, a small (big f number) aperture and a low ISO 0 that would capture you a correct exposure with the blurred water effect from the slower shutter speed

or

You could use a faster shutter speed and a wider aperture (bigger f number) and the same ISO - you would get far less water blurring and your depth of field would be a little less as well

Both would be correct (technically speaking) exposures but both shots are very different in appearnce

If there was one, single formula I would think point-and-shoots on full auto would be all anyone would ever need. If 42 needs to be your answer there are many different formulas to get there.

Did you know that there is no difference between a photo taken in manual and a photo taken in Auto (as long as the settings are the same)?

Don't concentrate on which mode you are shooting in...rather, concentrate on the exposure that you want...and do what you need to do, to get that. If could mean using manual mode, or just one of the auto modes with Exposure Compensation.

Don't concentrate on which mode you are shooting in...rather, concentrate on the exposure that you want...and do what you need to do, to get that. If could mean using manual mode, or just one of the auto modes with Exposure Compensation.
+1

Did you know that there is no difference between a photo taken in manual and a photo taken in Auto (as long as the settings are the same)?
i've come across people who completely disregard "Auto" photography cuz to them if you're not shooting in "Manual" mode then you're not a good photographer.

well that was quite the read! lol .... it is ideal to shoot in manual to get the exposure that i want. i have been putting my knob to M and balancing the shutter and aperture so the exposure meter is balanced. thats the right way to do it? correct? then if i feel i want more DOF or longer exposures etc i go from there adjusting my A and S. i ran into a photographer at the mets game the other day and she said something about the shutter speed relating to the length of the lens. and it was not the first time i heard of this :scratch:

i ran into a photographer at the mets game the other day and she said something about the shutter speed relating to the length of the lens. and it was not the first time i heard of this :scratch:
The rule is if you're shooting at 300mm you should have a shutter speed of at least 1/300. Just put a 1/x in front of the focal length for this rule.

It prevents blurry pictures.

i ran into a photographer at the mets game the other day and she said something about the shutter speed relating to the length of the lens. and it was not the first time i heard of this :scratch:
The rule is if you're shooting at 300mm you should have a shutter speed of at least 1/300. Just put a 1/x in front of the focal length for this rule.

then adjust the aperture acordingly of course? maybe that is what i heard of

i've come across people who completely disregard "Auto" photography cuz to them if you're not shooting in "Manual" mode then you're not a good photographer.
How can they tell what mode you're shooting in?

DoesntSay.jpg

My exif says "not defined" :lol:

Shooting with manual give you total control and consistent results. But sometimes, you do not need to control everything. If you are using the in-camera-body light meter to figure out the correct exposure, then I will say use the Aperture/Shutter priority or the manual mode. Whatever is easier for you and get the result you like.

If you want to have a general guide line regarding what settings to use in different situation, you can take a look the table 1 and table 2 here.

Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So find out what EV you need and adjust your settings accordingly. Of course, your miles may vary since your situation maybe different.

then adjust the aperture acordingly of course? maybe that is what i heard of
Well no, you would adjust the shutter to remain in compliance with this general rule. Changing the aperture won't change your focal length.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back