I have to choose a lens!!

bettola

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm italian and i bought the nikon d50 without kit. I have to choose a lens:

1) Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC
2) sigma 24-70 ex dg macro
3) Nikon AF-S DX 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 G

number 2 I think is better but without wide and more expensive. Nikon is cheaper but (I think!) it's the worst. Better choose it's number 1? in alternative there is the sigma 18-50f2.8 but i read that i't better the 17-70!

thank you!!! :hail:

Unless you are shooting really fast stuff, the Nikon 18-70 is your best bet.
It has a larger aperture, but the quality will surpass the Sigma.

I wouldnt buy a lens that just came out, as you can't always tell of the quality until you either buy one and try it or read reviews. The nikon you listed i believe is the kit lens, which I believe isn't bad (better than canon's kit lens), but i know for a fact that the 24-70 2.8 from sigma is very good. It's heavy and bulky, but from what I've heard from friends and others that have it, it's quite sharp and pretty understated. like you said though, it's kinda pricey compared to the other ones and isnt that wide. it is sigma's EX line, so that's good (it's their more professional line of lenses - I would be suspicious of sigma lenses that weren't). if you dont need wide I'd go for the sigma 24-70. another good one in that range is tamron's 28-75mm 2.8 lens. it is actually often said to be better than the sigma, so you may want to look into that. you could always buy a wide prime later on (nikon makes terrific wide lenses) if you knew you would want some wide capabilities.

The d50 comes with the 18-55 as the kit lens, if I'm correct. That is an excellent lens, as is the 18-70. I have the 18-70, and it has a bit of distortion at 18mm, but I am still thrilled with the quality of pictures I get with it. Other lenses I can recommend after you get that mid zoom are: Nikkor 75-300 4.5/5.6 and the 50mm 1.8D. All three are great lenses

the Nikon AF-S DX 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 G isnt the kit lense. the kit lense is ED glass(higher quality) and a few hundred extra dollars.

I think i get the sigma 24-70 ex dg macro. Many reviews tell that is a gorgeous lens!

24mm is plenty wide. 17mm is not so useful. i would buy #2... but how fast is it at 24mm?

bettola said:
Hi all! I'm italian and i bought the nikon d50 without kit. I have to choose a lens:

1) Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC
2) sigma 24-70 ex dg macro
3) Nikon AF-S DX 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 G

number 2 I think is better but without wide and more expensive. Nikon is cheaper but (I think!) it's the worst. Better choose it's number 1? in alternative there is the sigma 18-50f2.8 but i read that i't better the 17-70!

thank you!!! :hail:

2framesbelowzero said:
24mm is plenty wide. 17mm is not so useful. i would buy #2... but how fast is it at 24mm?

well it's a 1.5x cropped sensor, so the 24 is more like a 36mm. the 17mm acts more like a 25.5 or 26mm sensor, which is a good bit wider.

ope i think you are onyx, that isnt the kit lens, my mistake. I'd still say go for the 24-70, as it is a constant 2.8 aperture and still very sharp. but if the 18-70 has a better range for what you do, i'd say that one. There is another sigma lens that is really nice, the 18-50mm 2.8 EX. you might want to check that one out, as it has a constant 2.8 aperture and has the wide end too.

Most reactions

Back