I have to take self portraits for my photography class but I cannot be in them?

fastlens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HELP!!!!!
I have an assignment in my photography class to take self portraits, but I cannot be in them. So we have to take pictures that describe us, In the photos we also have to hide three things in each photo for people to look for that reveals something else about us or the photograph. I have no idea where to even begin. please help...

I have a limited amount of places that I can shoot today, most of it will take place at a house
minimum of 72 exposures

For ideas if it helps : I love music,movies,cars,dancing, parties, fishing,drawing/painting/creating stuff, the beach/pool, making people laugh, love, hanging out with friends, my family

HELP!!!!!
I have an assignment in my b&w photography class to take self portraits, but I cannot be in them. So we have to take pictures that describe us, In the photos we also have to hide three things in each photo for people to look for that reveals something else about us or the photograph. I have no idea where to even begin. please help...

I have a limited amount of places that I can shoot today, most of it will take place at a house
minimum of 72 exposures

For ideas if it helps : I love music,movies,cars,dancing, parties, fishing,drawing/painting/creating stuff, the beach/pool, making people laugh, love, hanging out with friends, my family

I took a self-portrait without being in the photo to illustrate the power of symbols. It had my Panama hat, guayabera shirt, walking stick, camera, and baggy pants. My friends laughed and agreed that was "me".

Just for fun, I put on a baseball cap, a t-shirt, a pair of jeans, and left my walking stick at home one day and people who knew me fairly well didn't recognize me at first glance.

A stranger on the street one day said, "You were taking pictures of the church at midnight." I laughed and said I hadn't seen them around. "No, my neighbor said it was an old gringo with a straw hat and I knew it had to be you."

Fishing: A shot that includes fishing gear and a snapshot of your favourite fishing companions could work nicely. You could use a mix of regular or fly-fishing lures, a creel, handbook, filet knife, your hat, rod 'n reel, net and a map that contains your favourite fishing spot. If you have a canoe or other boat that is used for these trips you could set the other items on or around it, maybe just including a very small part of the boat in the shot i.e. the bow. The different textures and finishes of these items could make the shot interesting.

Dancing: Dancing shoes, an old album or CD of your favourite dance music, old ticket stubs to dance hall events if you have them. If you've competed include your competitor number, ribbon or trophy. If you have gleaming hardwood floors or other floor surface suitable for dancing you could set your items on that.

Beach: beach glass, shells, sand, lei, driftwood, pina colada or any drink with an umbrella in it (for image quality I suggest drinking it after the photo shoot LOL), flip-flops, Jimmy Buffet CD or book, a parrot if you're a Parrothead.

Family: Family photo album (open), family tree, a picture of your spouse, children, family pets, home, shot of family enjoying a dinner of your favourite foods

Things that could be included in shots but not necessarily as main subjects : CD player, CD collection, your drawings/paintings, wedding rings, your car, guidebooks, maps or souvenirs from places you've visited.

I'm sure that ideas will come flooding in once you get started. We get so used to the things around us in our home that sometimes we forget how much they can reveal about us. Try to look around as if you're there as a visitor. Or better yet, get a friend or neighbour to pop by and tell you what they see of you in there :). Have fun!

Last edited:
Honestly... we cannot help you "cheat" on your homework...
this assignment is for you to Express your creativity.. not to commit plagirism by using our creativity to help your shot...
use your head
Need: Car with cd player
Scissors
Friends
CD
beach ball

Method:
Place the car outside a beach or a club
Put the cd player in the Boot of the car,
Place the disc in the CD tray (dont close it)
Place scissors to the side of the player with paper under them
put the beach ball at the other side
Have your friends "dance" at the front of the car
make sure you can see the front of the car from your boot (while it is open, if required remove the Parcel shelf)
Frame the shot so you fit the Boot and its contents in the shot and see your friends dancing at the front of the car(through the windshield)
and shoot!
But it is really up to your own creativity, and thanks for sharing this with us :D i have been stuck for things to photograph (im not into snapshots, i like Concept or Portrait and since no one will pose for me... i am into the Conceptual theme ATM.)

Well this assignment sound pretty similar to the one I had to do for my 35mm B&W class. It was a really fun assignment! Only thing I will help you out with... Use light and shadows. The light and shadows will really help you tell a story, as far as what is in the pictures... thats what you have to decide!

Good luck!

O and ALWAYS look past the "thing itself" that you are shooting and see what is in the background. The background really can ruin a shot, you dont want to be doing a picture and realize when you develop that your younger brother was in background. So try and look past what your focusing on because EVERYTHING in the picture means something, so make everything in the picture mean something.

Funny, you describe a bunch of "things". Is that what defines you? Is that who you are?
No.

Dig deeper.
The intertubes can't help you here.

The first thought I had for describing how to do this was "Think of a Corona commercial's beginning"

this is why i hate giving advice to people with < than 20 posts... they seem to hit and run and never come back... we havent even heard a reply from this guy or girl

Most reactions

Back