I haven't been here for awhile

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please C&C this picture... Comp ok? B&W work on this one? Any place for improvement?

Original
327674450_9ee9c79098_o.jpg

Edited:
327671492_3a625e988a_o.jpg

Thank you for your comments

Either they are really and nobody knows how to fix them or they are really good and knowbody know how to improve them... I would vensure for the latter...

the images are fine technically but the composition is a little symetrical and undramatic.

This kind of shot - rails, switches, low angle, etc. - has been done so many times that it is difficult to bring anything new or exciting to it.

Hell, I did one 40 years ago and it wasn't new then.

railroadtracksvk0.jpg

The_Traveler said:
the images are fine technically but the composition is a little symetrical and undramatic.

I think there is something deliberate about the symmetry and it works for me. Having said that, it would be some time well spent to try a few different crops to try it with out the symetry. An alternative shot might have been from the other direction (to capture a divergence rather than a convergence). I definitely prefer the b/w.

B

I like the B&W image, though would prefer it a little more contrasty.

As as for it being old 40 years ago, not all of us were around 40 years ago, so give us a break.

As as for it being old 40 years ago, not all of us were around 40 years ago, so give us a break.

What I meant was that this kind of curvy railroad track image has been being done forever with virtually the same look.

As to my own critique to Chris's photo (both colour or black+white) I must say that - despite the fact that the SUBJECT as such has been done by many - I still like the effect of the vanishing point, which here, however, vanishes somewhere beyond the end of the frame. And I miss to see SOME horizon, some place that we can SEE where the rails vanish into "no more to be seen" - it really bugs me here that the frame sets this limit.

Mr Traveller makes a good point tho.
I look at the images and they do nothing for me.
The rail liines just draw you into nothing. I enjoy rail shots that lead you into a vanishing point or lead you to a horizon. These shots don't do that and I think thats what they're missing.
Try shooting from the same angle again, but do a vertical shot and get more of the track in thats leading away. :)

**haha. I was too slow :p

Thanks guys. This was not supposed to be a vanishing point picture, but I know that this is what the general opinion of looking at it portrays... I'm a math freak, and I love to include geometry into my pictures... I see were you guys are going with it though... I got a new camera and I'll try to go back to that spot and take it again... I'll try to get an angle that no one has before (or very few).

Most reactions

Back