I hope this doesnt happen in the US

This post got me interested on what Australia's stance on this sort of thing - obviously they are being wary of photographers in regards to security here as well though I don't think its been advertised as such specifically just to generally look out for anything that isnt normal etc but I did find this on a national security website.

Unusual videotaping or photography of official buildings or other critical infrastructure
Videotaping is one of the ways terrorists gather information about a target. In 2001, a major terrorist plot in Singapore was averted when videotapes of buildings to be attacked, including the Australian High Commission, were discovered.

Found this article from 2006 on the net while trying to find some info which is interesting as it mentions being stopped from taking pics by secuirty etc

Picture this: city puts photo ban in the frame

I feel it's a very grey subject. On one hand, we, as photographers, have the right photograph most anything we see. On the other hand, terrorism has made a handhold on many folks around the world making those in charge extra cautious.
I got married four days after the 9.11.01 attack on the world trade centers, it affected my wedding due to the mayhem loaded upon the airlines. One of my groomsmen and our ring-bearer could not get here in time, like days later. Am I pissed, and forever angry? No.

I just made a google images search for Brooklyn Bridge and got "about" 416,000 hits.

I'm not really sure what you are saying. Just to be clear: I do not think the poster or the harassment by the police is good policy. The only reason I posted what I posted is to give some insight into why police may come up with these things.

pascal

Puscas - I totally agree with you that its a fair possibility, Your post was helpful !!!

I just also believe its a little fairer of a possibility that the administration just helps to fill out incident logs and justify their existence.

And so what if one of em got a few waist high snaps off with a P&S, its nothing thats already on the net or in Google images, or Google maps. Now Microsoft earth has a birds eye view that been taken by a plane, it shows angles and the sides of buildings.

All they are doing is making sure we talk about this on forums so that Google picks it up, any terrorist that does his homework will see that and find another way to shoot it.

If it were me I would have a black work truck with the extended cab and 4 doors. Have it all setup in the bed of the truck with a rollover bed cover.

Just need a hole the size of a compact disc that a piece of black metal slides out of the way. maybe where the handle should be. One guy sits in there and clicks away with a 400 prime and a 70-200 every things covered.
They could have one slideable hole on each side. They just need to park for one minute and its done. communicating through rear view mirror and cell phone earpieces the hole is always closed when any type of security drives within view.

They could even make one side of the truck all fake holes and rust like its just realllly old, but only the one hole goes all the way through.

I thought of this in 2 minutes and im just a regular joe. Id think Al Quida or whatever could come up with much better then standing on the street with a tripod, or holding up a P&S.

I'm not really sure what you are saying. Just to be clear: I do not think the poster or the harassment by the police is good policy. The only reason I posted what I posted is to give some insight into why police may come up with these things.

Sorry about being unclear.
I just tried to say that a "terrorist" has other ways of getting the info they need... from over 400,000 images, one could give them the info they need. Or they could buy a book on the subject.

Sorry about being unclear.
I just tried to say that a "terrorist" has other ways of getting the info they need... from over 400,000 images, one could give them the info they need. Or they could buy a book on the subject.

and ... the architectural drawings for most/all building (especially public structures) are on public file in some government building. Additionally, any person with construction/engineering experience can easily spot stress/weak points on a structurally exposed bridge just by walking by.

Gary

The NYT piece is too funny, Guards from a foreign country taking photos and Vids of landmarks, now why would they do that, like what Foreigner wants shots of landmarks opposed to all the other crappy things they could be taking photos of. Like get real, Foreign Workers taking photos of Landmarks, well I am just confused why they would do that except they are LANDMARKS. Call me crazy but that is just so suspicious, next thing Tourists will be taking photos of Landmarks, when will the madness end.

A couple years back when the DNC was in Boston the police were on an all out assault against and person looking of mideastern decent with a camera. I personally witnessed two people get taken away by the police for taking photos. The police took there cameras and went through the photos after seeing one in particular the man was shoved in the back of a squad car. I found this very upsetting the odds this guy was a terrorist were slim yet he was still taken away who knows if this person in currently in Guantanomo.

Guys this is a serious issue. If you see your neighbour with a bag of fertilizer REPORT THEM. If you see someone take a photo REPORT THEM. If you see someone carrying a bag REPORT THEM.

We will not be safe until everyone is permanently locked up!

The UK is such a nanny state. I'm quite frequently ashamed to be a resident when some of these kind of things come to light. It's as if we can't think for ourselves.

Guys this is a serious issue. If you see your neighbour with a bag of fertilizer REPORT THEM. If you see someone take a photo REPORT THEM. If you see someone carrying a bag REPORT THEM.

We will not be safe until everyone is permanently locked up!

Add...

Throw out due process... throw your neighbor in prison...
Hey... lets make a holiday out of it...

Why would they target 'togs when there is google earth for the terrorists to exploit? :lol: :lol:

Why would they target 'togs when there is google earth for the terrorists to exploit? :lol: :lol:

Because they'd rather come after you and I than sort out real crime....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back