I initally overlooked this one, but now it's one of my favourites!

bc_steve

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevedinicol.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Making a book with my travel photos from last year and I came across this one in my .RAW files that I passed over at the time. I like it WAY better than the picture that I picked out the first time.

swayambunath (aka the monkey temple) by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

It took me a few days of trying to get this one because for the first couple of nights the electricity didn't come on until late (the power goes out daily in Kathmandu, sometimes for up to 16 hours). I was sick with giardia as well at the time and I might have had to immediately run back to my room at my moment, but it worked out. It was from the rooftop of my hotel.

-----------------------------

EDIT: Forgot to say where this is was. It is in Kathmandu, Nepal and on the hill there is Swayambhunath, or the Monkey Temple as it's known by the tourists.

Last edited:
I love the building on the right with the pull of light drawn to it. Best part is I can see the main city scape still, the shadowed buildings in the front and layers of trees and mountains in the back. What a great location!

Good capture of the layers of mountains and the temple, which are your focal points.

I wouldn't include the town; it pulls interest from other elements.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

Good capture of the layers of mountains and the temple, which are your focal points.

I wouldn't include the town; it pulls interest from other elements.

FanBoy, that sounds more like the image that I had picked out from the group the first time around. I'm just not sure that I like it as much ... maybe if it was a little more zoomed out ... anyways, here it is:

$DSC_4737.jpg

I find myself wishing that one building at front/center was not in the shot as I don’t feel it adds any impact, but I love the effect you achieved with the cascading layers. Very cool indeed.

I find myself wishing that one building at front/center was not in the shot as I don’t feel it adds any impact, but I love the effect you achieved with the cascading layers. Very cool indeed.

Thanks! I agree, I wish that building wasn't there either. That would have been the better rooftop to take this picture from but being sick I wasn't able to stray far from my hotel room (also not sure what that building actually was). I was up on the hotel roof and up some stairs that went to the water barrels. It sure is nice to have such easy access to the hotel roofs and all the rooftop restaurants in Nepal.

Most reactions

Back