I just bought an EF 50mm 1.0L and I think I'm in over my head

Kit Lens Jockey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I could have bought a high mileage used car, instead I bought a camera lens.

I found a pretty good deal on a 50mm 1.0, but I am really having my doubts here. By most measurements, the 50mm 1.2 seems to be a better lens, outside of the fact that obviously it's 2/3 of a stop slower. But frankly, after playing with it for a little, I don't think the bokeh at 1.0 is much better than at 1.2. There are a ton of sample photos from this lens floating around online, but honestly most of them seem to be super close-range shots that are specifically meant to show off the bokeh, and probably aren't much different than what the 50mm 1.2 could do.

Also, in addition, I'm afraid to even have this thing outside of the house. My understanding is that Canon no longer repairs these lenses, so if anything happens to it, I have a very beautiful paper weight on my hands. That's not something that really inspires me to take it out and use it the way it was meant to be used. I dunno, what do you guys think. Not entertaining offers to take it off of my hands... Yet. :1398:

Few thoughts:

1) First time I got my 70-200mm f2.8 the front element wasn't just big - it was freaking massive and I didn't want to take it out ever much (thankfully its got a big lens hood so that gave me some confidence). A new purchase that is a very high cost and which is delicate can make one a bit worried about it; but in general getting out there and using it is the only way to overcome this fear.

2) You are right that 2/3rds of a stop isn't a vast amount and in practical situations you might well get similar shots - don't forget to check the quality and nature of the background rendering. Look at the shape of highlight circles and the smoothless or not of the rendering of the out of focus areas. At this end of the scale sometimes the difference isn't so much in the degree of blur but the nature of how the lens renders that blur and how appealing it is to you - its a more subtle area that people see without realising but the photographer does and can see clearly.

3) If canon don't do repairs don't forget that 3rd party repair centre might well still repair them. It might cost differently; but often as not big companies stop support only because its not economical at the large scales they operate with. Thus smaller companies can often buy up old repair stock and partly damaged items and thus provide a good quality repair service to items that are no longer officially supported.

4) If I were you I'd get out there and SHOOT - forget samples for a bit and just get out and enjoy and use the lens. I think that will tell you more than endles test shots, about if you enjoy and want to use the lens or if its already a rather unique paperweight.

#1 insure your gear

#2 take it outside. I fell and slammed about 5k worth of gear into the mud. Still works great years later. My gear has been hit with frisbees, out side at the beach, outside during rain, you name it, my gear has been through it. Make it worth its money by using it! [emoji12]

How is the lens at regular, useful lens openings, such as f/2.0? Or f/2.2 or f2.5 or at f/2.8? I would think that at such relatively wide aperture settings, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.0 lens ought to be very good. Is it not good at f/2.5?

I could see the value of a lens that offered extraordinary image quality at f/2.2 to f/2.8, in a 50mm length!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back