I just bought another old nikon lens..

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon AF Nikkor 70-210mm F/4-5.6 D DSLR .. to go with my Nikon d500 camera.does anyone have any experience with this lens..the pros and cons.. seems like another older lens to have fun with.. thanks

it's a len.

it's old, heavy, slow aperture, and slow to AF, and push-pull zoom operation.

although people do says it's sharp corner-to-corner, it think the cons outweigh the pros -- especially considering you already have a better modern lens in that same range.

I'm wondering if you may have more fun finding so old AF-D series prime lenses, or macro lenses to try something different and to play more with DOF.

Last edited:
it's a len.

although people do says it's sharp corner-to-corner, it think the cons outweigh the pros -- especially considering you already have a better modern lens in that same range.

I'm wondering if you may have more fun finding so old AF-D series prime lenses, or macro lenses to try something different and to play more with DOF.
it does not sound like I will be having fun....... I am glad I asked..thank you

I don't have older film bodies....... :02.47-tranquillity:

it's a len.

I do want auto type lenses.. so not too old.. do you have any suggestions for my Nikon d500 which we would consider a cheap lens but sharp.. I have decided to sell my two tamron lenses which I hope to buy a good Nikon. oh yes I cancelled this lens before it was too late.. so thanks again..

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but you might find some worthwhile information here:

Photo Gear Picks: Three Nikon “D” Prime Lenses, to Go

I'm sure yo are familiar with the AF-S lenses, but they are not necessarily cheap. Some of the older AF-D lenses that were made to mount to film cameras are still quite wonderful. If you are interested in one particular lens, start reading some reviews on it, and check out sample photographs made with that lens.

Some good things about these lenses; they are affordable, plentiful, and very well made. The problem is; you can't stop at just one.

Try it and see what you think. I would not call the lens heavy. I think you might like it. Who knows. Give it a good try and see I kind of like the old AF 70 to 300 macro from roughly the same timeframe. This is the lens that has the 62 mm filter thread and the built-in tripod mount on the lens.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but you might find some worthwhile information here:

Photo Gear Picks: Three Nikon “D” Prime Lenses, to Go

I'm sure yo are familiar with the AF-S lenses, but they are not necessarily cheap. Some of the older AF-D lenses that were made to mount to film cameras are still quite wonderful. If you are interested in one particular lens, start reading some reviews on it, and check out sample photographs made with that lens.

Some good things about these lenses; they are affordable, plentiful, and very well made. The problem is; you can't stop at just one.
I believe you about not stopping at one...I just ordered one the other day and I am already looking for another.. thanks for tips .. I did read up on the lens but it is a little confusing that Nikon made several types of the same type but I am getting the hang of it and I love reading about them...just don't want to buy and get one that I won't use..

Caution on the push/pull lenses.
They are OLD. And if the grease has migrated to the ends, the operation can be difficult.
Example, on my 75-300, when the zoom ring is either full forward or full back, the zoom mechanism sticks. It requires significant extra force to get the zoom ring to unstick and move. So practical operation becomes a PITA.
It needs a CLA to clean out the old grease, but it is too old to spend much $$$ on it.​
And old grease could have dried up, making the push/pull rather stiff.
On the other hand, I have an even older manual 80-200/4.5 that is as butter smooth as I remember it was back in the 70s.

Try it and see what you think. I would not call the lens heavy. I think you might like it. Who knows. Give it a good try and see I kind of like the old AF 70 to 300 macro from roughly the same timeframe. This is the lens that has the 62 mm filter thread and the built-in tripod mount on the lens.
too late I already canceled the order... if you think of another one please let me know

Caution on the push/pull lenses.
They are OLD. And if the grease has migrated to the ends, the operation can be difficult.
Example, on my 75-300, when the zoom ring is either full forward or full back, the zoom mechanism sticks. It requires significant extra force to get the zoom ring to unstick and move. So practical operation becomes a PITA.
It needs a CLA to clean out the old grease, but it is too old to spend much $$$ on it.​
And old grease could have dried up, making the push/pull rather stiff.
On the other hand, I have an even older manual 80-200/4.5 that is as butter smooth as I remember it was back in the 70s.
I am going to go for something a little newer even though I know there are still some good oldies out there I would love to try.. also I want to buy only from someone I can return if it is default from age.. I cannot wait to try the one oldie I have on the way.. just looking for another while I wait... thank you

it's a len.

I do want auto type lenses.. so not too old.. do you have any suggestions for my Nikon d500 which we would consider a cheap lens but sharp.. I have decided to sell my two tamron lenses which I hope to buy a good Nikon. oh yes I cancelled this lens before it was too late.. so thanks again..

Find a list of Nikon af-d lenses. Tons of old lenses to work with your d500.

My main thing was you already have this focal length, so maybe try something different/unique.

Like a prime the 24, or 35 or 50 or 85. Or a macro like Derrel suggested. Or a zoom like the 18-35 or 20-35, I dunno.

it's a len.

Find a list of Nikon af-d lenses. Tons of old lenses to work with your d500.

My main thing was you already have this focal length, so maybe try something different/unique.

Like a prime the 24, or 35 or 50 or 85. Or a macro like Derrel suggested. Or a zoom like the 18-35 or 20-35, I dunno.
Yes... thanks .. I am on a hunt again.. and yes for something different!..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back