I just got

sarahthirteen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone Im new here I dunno if this has been asked I searched for it and so much stuff came up that its hard to sift through so forgive me if its been asked already but....

My moms friends just gave me a Pentax K1000 with a 50mm lens and a 135mm lens... Im new to slr Ive worked with dslr's before but not an all manual slr I am a little intimidated by it but decided to get some film and start shooting... I havent finished my first roll yet so I havent gotten any developed so who knows what ive done haha... but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/tips for using it?

also if anyone has any color photos they can share with me? Ive seen amazing b/w pix taken with it and heard its great for b/w but not too much about color or seen any color shots.

also film wise should i go the drug store route when buying or hit up a camera shop cuz I went to two drug stores and only one had b/w film and it was only one roll... id love to find like a 4 pack like you can with color. I mainly want to shoot b/w with this camera but some color here and there.

Thanks for any help

Sarah

Do some research on the web.

You may be able to find film cheaper from a site like Freestyle Photographic Supplies - Traditional Black & White Film, Paper, Chemicals, Holgas and ULF or bhphotovideo or adorama

However it all depends on what kind of film you want to shoot. Sometimes photo stores or drugstores have cheap film because it's about to expire and they just want to get rid of it, or because they genuinely do have cheaper prices.

The other thing you can do is bulk film rolling. Basically you pay for 100 ft of film, and film canisters, and a bulk rolling machine. It'll work out ot less on a per roll basis then buying actual film in the store.

I purchase from Freestyle myself occasionally. I have a camera shop an hour north of me, the kind that displays fixer on the showroom floor. I throw my dollars into my local economy to keep them there. That's the way it works. I only go to Freestyle when it takes heaven and earth being moved to get something through the shop.

As to using the camera, don't be intimidated. If you know about the Law of Reciprocity, then I would suggest Ansel Adams' 'The Negative'. If not, then I would suggest the little yellow book by Kodak. It gives the basics of manual exposure and would get you started perfectly.

I purchase from Freestyle myself occasionally. I have a camera shop an hour north of me, the kind that displays fixer on the showroom floor. I throw my dollars into my local economy to keep them there. That's the way it works. I only go to Freestyle when it takes heaven and earth being moved to get something through the shop.

As to using the camera, don't be intimidated. If you know about the Law of Reciprocity, then I would suggest Ansel Adams' 'The Negative'. If not, then I would suggest the little yellow book by Kodak. It gives the basics of manual exposure and would get you started perfectly.

thank you yeah im about 5 minutes from a photography shop it has everything anyone would ever need Ill have to check out there manual stuff cuz anytime i was there it was to check out there digital cameras.

also thanks for the suggestions Ill look for them.

id say for the tips and ideas on using it is going to be a little pricey I assume. Well if you do it how I get used to my cameras. First i will say until you get the hang of it i recommend when you develop them, i would just get them put on CD. Its a little cheaper and you can view them a little easier on a PC/mac.

when i learned my cams, i used each setting a little different on each picture. I marked on a piece of paper picture number, camera setting, and what you were trying to accomplish. yes I know that's very tedious and probably time consuming, but with no physical help or money to pay for help lol thats seems to work hahaha

id say for the tips and ideas on using it is going to be a little pricey I assume. Well if you do it how I get used to my cameras. First i will say until you get the hang of it i recommend when you develop them, i would just get them put on CD. Its a little cheaper and you can view them a little easier on a PC/mac.

when i learned my cams, i used each setting a little different on each picture. I marked on a piece of paper picture number, camera setting, and what you were trying to accomplish. yes I know that's very tedious and probably time consuming, but with no physical help or money to pay for help lol thats seems to work hahaha

thanks i had actually thought about doing that... i just put in a new roll of film so maybe i will do that this time... gonna develope the roll ive done already next weekend we'll see how it comes out. I have a photographer friend who can help me but hes so busy cuz its spring/summer time which he is always so busy doing senior/ prom photos and weddings

Most reactions

Back