I Just Luv It!!! *RANT

...but if your critique begins and ends with "just a snapshot" .....how did that help? It didn't educate the OP in the least on how they could make the photo better the next time and it doesn't tell them about what they did right.
I will read the remainder of the discussion later, but I wanted to interject at this point.

I disagree, somewhat, that there is no beneficial comment for the poster to regard. It tells me that the responder considered the image as nothing more than average in content (composition, exposure, subject matter, etc.), something you would show to you Mom and get an attaboy. For it to be considered otherwise, the poster must take a cold, hard, honest look at the picture again. Make them think why they posted in the first place and more importantly, what they need to do to make it a photo rather than a snapshot.

I think over the last couple of months this forum is being run amuck with PC. People posting (IMO) need to grow a thicker layer of skin and in a few cases, grow a set. All this recent BS of needing a proper critique forum, mentoring, why don't I get comments is just horse$hit. I am certainly in agreement that a proper critique forum is in order, but until that time, we have what we have.

Face it. Some people will like your work. Some will not. Some will offer positive comments. Some will not. Some will be willing to carry on a dialougue on how to improve. Some will not. All this whinning is driving me crazy. Post a picture and face the firing squad. If you disagree with the responses, then be gracious that that person took the time to comment. (Albeit, some of those that comment can be thouroughly and summarily dismissed).

If it's a snapshot, then it's a snapshot. Print it and put it in your photo album of memories. Lots of times that is exactly what it is. A moment of time in your life. Be happy that you had a camera to capture that moment.

*ends pointless point of view*

I will read the remainder of the discussion later, but I wanted to interject at this point.

I disagree, somewhat, that there is no beneficial comment for the poster to regard. It tells me that the responder considered the image as nothing more than average in content (composition, exposure, subject matter, etc.), something you would show to you Mom and get an attaboy. For it to be considered otherwise, the poster must take a cold, hard, honest look at the picture again. Make them think why they posted in the first place and more importantly, what they need to do to make it a photo rather than a snapshot.

I think over the last couple of months this forum is being run amuck with PC. People posting (IMO) need to grow a thicker layer of skin and in a few cases, grow a set. All this recent BS of needing a proper critique forum, mentoring, why don't I get comments is just horse$hit. I am certainly in agreement that a proper critique forum is in order, but until that time, we have what we have.

Face it. Some people will like your work. Some will not. Some will offer positive comments. Some will not. Some will be willing to carry on a dialougue on how to improve. Some will not. All this whinning is driving me crazy. Post a picture and face the firing squad. If you disagree with the responses, then be gracious that that person took the time to comment. (Albeit, some of those that comment can be thouroughly and simmarily dismissed).

If it's a snapshot, then it's a snapshot. Print it and put it in your photo album of memories. Lots of times that is exactly what it is. A moment of time in your life. Be happy that you had a camera to capture that moment.

:lovey::heart:

Face it. Some people will like your work. Some will not. Some will offer positive comments. Some will not. Some will be willing to carry on a dialougue on how to improve. Some will not. All this whinning is driving me crazy. Post a picture and face the firing squad. If you disagree with the responses, then be gracious that that person took the time to comment. (Albeit, some of those that comment can be thouroughly and summarily dismissed).

i agree and disagree.

i am certainly not trying to be PC here. all i am saying is if you have the "set" to say it's just a snapshot, then have the "why" to back it up.

some of the people who make those comments don't know their aperture from a hole in the ground.

average content can be applied to an intended photograph as well as a quick snapshot.

This entire thread has me thinking of those debates regarding Modern art. There was a time that Modern art was not taken seriously because it often did not model real physical subjects.

average content can be applied to an intended photograph as well as a quick snapshot.

This entire thread has me thinking of those debates regarding Modern art. There was a time that Modern art was not taken seriously because it often did not model real physical subjects.

well put!

i have always said that photography is an individual's artistic representation of a particular subject.

Even Picasso felt Vassilly Kandinsky's work wasn't art because it didn't have any physical basis to its expressionism.

You should pray that members on this forum are blunt and honest with you about your photography. You have to accept critique so if someone says you suck maybe you should work on things....(not saying you do). Harsh may suck but is the truth so take it how you do it can be very useful.

You should pray that members on this forum are blunt and honest with you about your photography. You have to accept critique so if someone says you suck maybe you should work on things....(not saying you do). Harsh may suck but is the truth so take it how you do it can be very useful.

So you don't think some of the people on this board get a tiny bit of a kick out of going Simon Cowell on someone who posts their photos?

If the harsh people on here are like that in real life, I feel bad for them. You will win more flies with honey than vinegar, and they'd probably be more successful in life, both financially and emotionally, if they could learn to sugar coat things a tad.

You will win more flies with honey than vinegar
Then give me some vinegar, I hate flies! :lol:

Seriously though, I don't post many photos and I don't comment on many either - if I did post photos on here for C&C, I would hope that people tell me what they really think.

I don't think people should just say "it sucks, I hate it" and then leave, but saying "good shot" or something like that when you really do think it sucks isn't good either.

Then give me some vinegar, I hate flies! :lol:

Seriously though, I don't post many photos and I don't comment on many either - if I did post photos on here for C&C, I would hope that people tell me what they really think.

I don't think people should just say "it sucks, I hate it" and then leave, but saying "good shot" or something like that when you really do think it sucks isn't good either.

right. that's what i am saying. the people who reply should explain why it sucks or why it's good.

A post that just says
"I hate it"
without explaination, I am sorry, is not too helpful.

try and remember when you were a noob, and try and explain why they are not up to standard.

JMHO

where did people get the idea that i am suggesting that only attaboy comments be made or that no harsh comments should be made?

what i have said throughout this entire thread is a comment without explanation helps no one.

so now i will fire back at those who are pro "it's just a snapshot". here's your question: are candid shots and PJ just snapshot photography?

A post that just says
"I hate it"
without explaination, I am sorry, is not too helpful.

try and remember when you were a noob, and try and explain why they are not up to standard.

JMHO

exactly my point!! none of us were born knowing photography. someone taught us along the way. share the knowledge is what i am saying.

I think it is helpful when people say it looks like a snapshot. To me that means it doesnt look well thoughtout or exicuted.

Emerana, you took only a few words to convey what took me a paragraph. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back