i just realized how much i hate this 1.6x crop factor

Back in the days of film, 35mm and medium-format and large-format had the same issue but no one came up with a phrase to "explain" it. You simply knew that a photo with a 70mm lens was different for the different formats. Perhaps the concept is too complicated for people today.

Back in the days of film, 35mm and medium-format and large-format had the same issue but no one came up with a phrase to "explain" it. You simply knew that a photo with a 70mm lens was different for the different formats. Perhaps the concept is too complicated for people today.

LOL ... which is very true ... but way back then even the cheap cameras used FF formats (either 35mm or 120mm) and not many peoples would toss a 80mm Planar on a Nikon body or a 50mm Nikkor on a Hassalblad.

Gary

Hah, great article.

Essentially: "Well done, Sigma, you reached the goal, but what you ended up with is crap."

... but it's really good crap, Mrs. Preskey ...

This is exactly what I addressed in my post.

You crop in Photoshop, and you're throwing away pixels. You crop in the camera, and your image fills the sensor and gives maximum detail. How is that difficult to understand?

crop-1.jpg

You obviously haven't come across a situation where you've captured a great moment and want to print it out, but didn't get the crop right in-camera, so have to settle for a much smaller print.

I understand what ur saying, i still dont care, i dont crop THAT much ... Yes you lose MP but not enough to make a difference in quality for a 8x10 i bet... I only ever print 8x10s

Yes I know I made a fool of myself. I have been shooting for only a year. I am only talking about from what I have read or experienced. I know I dont always make a lot of sense. Im sorry for that. Sometimes I am very vague or dumb, sometimes I am right and picky on words like a lawyer. Such as when I said cropping itself doesnt degrade an image because it doesnt. Cropping and printing as same size does. Sorry for that, its just the way I am.

Please can we just stop this now? You are right I am wrong.

I am sorry.

Most reactions

Back