i just started so be gentle, lol

KristinA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have taken the plunge and decided to go into photography, professionally. Here are the first of many to come, would love any and all input!

JakehorsesHalo.jpg

JakeTree.jpg

jakecloseup-1.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the composition of the shots,
PP is not bad but i dont like the tones and colors you went for.
overall they are good picture!

I really like the composition of the shots,
PP is not bad but i dont like the tones and colors you went for.
overall they are good picture!

this may sound dumb, but I gotta ask, what is PP???

Thanks for the input, I was going for a rugged look, something that would go in a western type room... that's the reason i chose the colors

Why would you want people to be gentle? Are you looking for "great job, I like that"? Alot of people do that here.

If you want to learn, you should seek harsh but constructive critisism. I've had some images torn apart on some websites and while its a huge ego hit, they are the ones that help me the most.

:)

lol... no I don't want people to be gentle, it was just an expression, thanks for telling me, I've never heard it called PP before. ty

Why would you want people to be gentle? Are you looking for "great job, I like that"? Alot of people do that here.

If you want to learn, you should seek harsh but constructive critisism. I've had some images torn apart on some websites and while its a huge ego hit, they are the ones that help me the most.

:)

good call.
plus, this is the pro gallery. :sexywink:

im diggin the first one, as a smaller version.
when i expand to see the big version, i see evidence of very poor PP, and what appears to be some pretty obvious CA.

not a huge fan of the pp in 1, it seems to glow too much.. But the second shot is really really nice!

If I didn't know any better, I'd say the first one is a composite image. There's some really sloppy tearing and jagged pixels surrounding the man. The background looks like it's a lower res image as well with some jpeg compression, that isn't in the foreground. I dunno, it just looks weird to me.

I really like the composition, but the colors and post work you've done, really ruins it for me.

If you can't take real critiques, then photography or any type of art in that case, isn't for you. Especially if you want to be a 'professional'. How will you grow if you can't take constructive criticism? If you're taking bad photos (it happens...) or making mistakes, you'd want them pointed out so you can learn and become a better artist. Plus, you can get so many pointers here, so don't say 'be gentle', say 'gimme whatchu got!" take whatever is thrown at you and use it to your advantage. This doesn't mean you have to agree with what everyone says, sometimes others see what your eyes miss, and you'll see that some things will be said repeatedly, and chances are, they're right.

#1: way too much contrast, look at the hat, it doesn't look too bright to you? there's no detail! The shine on the horses is disgusting..don't go overboard with contrast. It can help, but too much will ruin a photo! When increasing contrast: the brights get brighter and the darks get darker. Do you see the shirt? The shadows are engulfing it, still, yes, we can see the wrinkles but it is obvious that it's darker than it should be.

#2: Again, too much contrast. The brim (?) of the hat is way too white; hindering detail. The highlights on the shirt are also too bright, control your PP!

#3: Looks like you focused on his lips. There's a major hot-spot on his nose, but surprisingly, excessive contrast is not an issue in this one. In fact, it's quite the opposite, it's actually, really flat. This means it's really gray (brown in this case) and lacks contrast, nothing pops. Everything almost blends in with eachother. Except for the horrible hot spot. -_- We know that the hat is white, so it should be the lightest thing in the photo..which it is not right now.

Overall: I do not like the treatment you gave the photos. I've never been a fan of sepia, I think B&W would have suited them better and added more personality. Although the compositions aren't horrible, you want to watch out for amputation and leaving things 'unfinished'. This means paying attention to what you see in the viewfinder and looking to see if you'll be cutting anything off and/or including unnecessary distractions before you click the shutter. Take more than one frame of the same pose/angle, but experiment with new ones as well!

**Woo, what a long one! I understand how others' opinions can be intimidating, but you have to learn to embrace it (most of the time!) :taped sh::fangs:

Last edited:
Overall, I like the shots, but there are a few things I would change.

Image 1 - Crop more of the hat, or none at all. When you get something (arm, face, etc.) close to the edge of a photo, it causes tension. Which is fine if that's what you want, but I would prefer to see the hat uncropped, so the sky wouldn't be bisected. And I would like to see a little more of his left arm.

Image 2 - Looks fine, but I would like to see a little more detail in the white areas.

Image 3 - Crop out the ear as it competes with the face for attention, and make the tones a little less flat by kicking up the contrast a little.

Keep up the good work.

Have Fun,
Jeff

My problem with the first photo is that everything is sharp, I like some depth of field but thats just my opinion, hope it helps.

Most reactions

Back