I know, another moon shot, but here's one from tonight.

Yes, I was driving home from the slopes(snowboarding) and noticed this and was irritated that I didn't have my camera with me.

It was very visible even before complete darkness this evening.

My turn to recycle:
3256518249_3884ac537d_o.jpg

Live view really helps with focusing.
F/8, 1/125, ISO 100, 250mm and cropped

3202528504_e5a4e3944a_o.jpg

F/5.6, 1/320, ISO 100, 250mm and cropped

I haven't seen the moon in weeks over here. Cloud, cloud, cloud, cloud, CLOUD :(.

Oh, well. Here's one from a while ago. I had another one that was a little better, but I can't for the life of me find it :(.

iqlfdy.jpg

ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/200s, handheld, 200mm + cropping.

Somebody suggested in a thread here a while back to use the "Sunny 16" rule to take moon pics, and I tried it with good results. For instance, I set my settings at 1/100, f16, ISO 100. Here is a link that explains it-
Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a moon pic I took, at 1/100, f16, ISO 100 ...

Said it before, I'll say it again: Sunny 16 rule is not appropriate for the moon. It will under-expose. You will use too small an f/number (f/16 is silly to use for the moon, if for no other reasons than quality is degraded and you will be forced to use a longer shutter speed or under-expose.

Is that lens flare caused by my uv filter? or is it just the stray light?

What is the deal with venus this year anyway? It seems like generally I'll see it occasionally, but this year I can see it like every single night.

Is that lens flare caused by my uv filter? or is it just the stray light?
So you are telling me you didn't take off ur UV filter? lol. Don't worry I made the same mistake. Always take off ur UV filter at night. I have decided to remove my UV's and never put them on. They tell you that the sensor is more vounerable to UV damage, BUt if I remember correctley Ken Rokwell said that. Our current technology is enough to protect ur camera from UV. I use my lens hoods for protection.
What is the deal with venus this year anyway? It seems like generally I'll see it occasionally, but this year I can see it like every single night.
Yea I always thought it was a bright star, but it's venus.

I've been having issues with Earth shine. Any way to get rid of that, or do I just need to catch the moon at the right time.

Venus is an evening object for about 10 months, and then it's a morning object. So, since normal people are normally more awake at night than before dawn, you're much more likely to see it while it's an evening object like now.

I've been having issues with Earth shine. Any way to get rid of that, or do I just need to catch the moon at the right time.

If you're trying to NOT get Earthshine, then you need to use a shorter exposure. If you're trying TO get Earthshine, then use a longer exposure.

So can you get both earthshine and no earthshine?

moon2.jpg

moon1-1.jpg

i always get one or the other photos the second one doesn't look bad but i want that plus the rest of the moon semi lit up. Too much to ask?

moon2.jpg

moon1-1.jpg

i always get one or the other photos the second one doesn't look bad but i want that plus the rest of the moon semi lit up. Too much to ask?

Uhhh pretty much yes. You could try utilizing HDR but I am not sure how well it would work.

Yes, it's too much to ask. The difference in brightness between a crescent moon and earthshine is about a factor of 300x at a MINIMUM, closer to 3000x in order to get decent S/N on the earthshine part. There are ways to do it in post-processing, but it's a real pain and will NOT look natural/realistic.

Most reactions

Back