I know I've done it a few times already...but my best Moon picture yet

DerekSalem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright this is the best Moon picture I've taken. Bought a new Canon 7D yesterday and loving it so far (moved from T2i and actually there's quite a big difference). Went out tonight after I got home because the moon looked awesome. Decided to see how well the 7D would make it look (obviously pretty comparable to the T2i but there *IS* a higher IQ). This was the second picture I took (took about 17 with different settings). Made it into a wallpaper (I have 5 Moon wallpapers that shuffle for my background) and I think it's my best one yet.

What does everyone think?

4634538102_f9c3fef91a_o.jpg

Aw, man, I was looking to do this tonight. I cant see the moon from my house, apparently.

Looks good. Maybe a little dark?

Congrats on the new camera!

Aw, man, I was looking to do this tonight. I cant see the moon from my house, apparently.

Looks good. Maybe a little dark?

Congrats on the new camera!

Thanks! I had a few brighter but the brightness just drowned out some of the detail in most. I was thinking of brightening this one up a bit but it actually looks much better as a background without it (at least to me). Might try editing one of the brighter ones again.

Wanted to do it last night but couldn't see the moon from my house yesterday. Today it was pretty high in the sky actually.

Yeah, I just thought it needed just a tiny bit of brightening. The detail is great though. *shrugs*

I found it, but can't finagle a shot. Maybe tomorrow night.
Also on my list is sunset over the flats. Right now the best view is from the Lorain-Carnegie bridge.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack, but the moon looked good to me also tonight. Well, up until I over PP'd it anyway....
4635045632_d0581131c8_o.jpg

Sorry, don't mean to hijack, but the moon looked good to me also tonight. Well, up until I over PP'd it anyway....
4635045632_d0581131c8_o.jpg

Nice photo none the less! Wish I could get a hold of a higher zoom for a night just to get a few good pictures, but don't really want to spend the $50+ to rent one. Still looking at an extender though.

And Bitters, if you're ever thinking about going up and doing it let me know I'd love to join. Thought about doing that same thing a few times but just haven't gotten around to it.

And Bitters, if you're ever thinking about going up and doing it let me know I'd love to join. Thought about doing that same thing a few times but just haven't gotten around to it.

I am gonna try to go tonight.

7pm ish.

PM sent.

Here's one of mine from last month. I find it interesting to see how slightly different the moon looks based on where you're located on earth.

moon_by_djacob372.jpg

Wow Bitter, I wish to have that 100-400 zoom?
It is funny how each pic has a different sweet spot for the rule of thirds.

Last edited:
Wow Bitter! Awesome shot!

Definitely envious of that 100-400 right about now =P

All good shots. I want to go to the moon one day lol. :)

After seeing all your moon versions I have to confess I wanted to do mine. This was taken tonight with a 55-200; as I posted above I wish to have something like 300 or 400.

I tried with several apertures and speeds. In the end only 3 keepers, all of them f8.0. At least this exercise confirmed that the sweet spot for my lens is f8.0 (at 200mm), something that I read before but good to confirm it.

4640344487_f95c8977fb_o.jpg

Most reactions

Back