I learned a new lighting trick!

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am so excited! I've been racking my brain lately trying to figure out how to create a harder light look that was super soft in the highlights, without buying anything new like a grid for my softbox.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to catch Sue Bryce's natural lighting course on Creative Live and she answered it for me! I am a little embarrassed to say its such an obvious solution, but she takes diffused window light and uses flags to restrict the window into a strip of light.

I've never been a huge user of natural light so I decided to find a way to convert it to a strobe setup. Im sure some of you remember my shower curtain scrim setup but I suppose I should elaborate for those who don't. Right now, my favorite light is a studio strobe on a bounce umbrella sitting behind 2 shower curtain's attached to a boom stand. Taking a cue from Sue, I took two strips of black fabric and hung them over the shower curtains leaving a 3-4 inch strip of light showing. Basically creating a DIY strip light. I only got a few test shots in on the kids yesterday but I am basically jumping up and down at the result! Its so soft and bright in the highlights, yet super contrasty and moody!

I cant post the pictures of the kiddos but I was so excited that I had to shout it out!

Well if you can't post pictures of the kids, then it's time for another selfie using this set-up. HOP to it now, we want to see.

Also take a photo of the lighting for us to see.

Well if you can't post pictures of the kids, then it's time for another selfie using this set-up. HOP to it now, we want to see.

Are you saying my giant teddy bear isn't a sufficient model?

Oh! I did mean to attatch these, but puppy got on the table and distracted me. I plan to borrow (indefinitely) my son's black out curtains so the flags go to the floor, but here was my test setup.

Attachments

• IMAG0753.jpg
    IMAG0753.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMAG0754.jpg
    IMAG0754.jpg
    828 KB · Views: 260

Nope that won't cut it. ;) lol

Nope that won't cut it. ;) lol
You've hurt her feelings! lol!

This is a terrible selfie, but its all I have time for today! I didn't have the black reflector quite as close to me as I did for the boys so the shadows are lifted a bit, but hopefully it gives you an idea of the possibilities!

DSC_2203-Edit.jpg

I see a few things on your carpet! :eek:
Good thing you can't see behind me! ;-)

Why can't you post photos of the kiddos?
Dh doesn't like pictures of them on the internet. I've posted a few with his permission on the past for c&c but I try not to make it a habbt!

JustJazzie said:
she'll get over it, lol. Nicely done.
I dunno, she's already threatening not to pose for me next time. *smh*

Sounds like a flaky ModelMayhem teddy bear model...

Good job on modifying the light source to make it bend to your will. You can do the same thing more or less on softboxes, by taping opaque paper to the front, to create smaller strip boxes, or to create a round-shaped catchlight, etc.,etc..

JustJazzie said:
she'll get over it, lol. Nicely done.
I dunno, she's already threatening not to pose for me next time. *smh*

Sounds like a flaky ModelMayhem teddy bear model...

Good job on modifying the light source to make it bend to your will. You can do the same thing more or less on softboxes, by taping opaque paper to the front, to create smaller strip boxes, or to create a round-shaped catchlight, etc.,etc..
Except I hate my softbox! It's huge. A pain to setup I nearly break my flash bulb trying to attatch it to the strobe. Super off balance when I need it tall and pointed down.... I pretty much hate the thing!

Yeah...larger softboxes can be a real PITA at times, especially if not mounted on a boom arm with a counterweight, to keep them in good balance. You know, some of the low-cost made in China softboxes from eBay are actually pretty GOOD! I bought a couple back in 2007, and they have been good. Lately I have taken to using a simple 24x24 inch one, and I am now mounting it on a Chimera speed ring for Speedotron Brown Line, which uses a short piece of aluminum rod screwed to the speed ring, and then the rod goes into the umbrella receptacle on the flash unit, just like an umbrella shaft.The relatively small size, plus the square shape, makes it balance pretty well, even on a lightweight stand. I agree though..big softboxes can be a pain in the butt. Here's one of the small MIC ones I use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back