I learned my lesson

ahcigar1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Oh boy! My husband is a perfect example of having an expensive fancy DSLR does not mean you will come out with great photos. Not even decent ones. Over the weekend I decided to try and get some photos of my daughter and I together. A very rare experience since I hate being in front of the camera. So I put it on the easiest mode I possibly could (apperture priority), set it up to what needed to be for the setting and passed it off to him. He took about 50 photos and not one came out. Not one even was salvageable, and believe me I tried for hours. The lighting was horrible, focus was off, had funky cropping, all kinds of issues I don't even know what he was thinking or doing. It is a bit disappointing though because I was figuring would get at least one half way decent photo to keep and enjoy. But I guess that if I want any hope of getting something nice I'm going to have to hire a proffessional because now I understand a noob and a nice camera does not have good results.

What about doing your own with a remote release? Sounds as if they might turn out better than having hubby help.

Or, you could give him a little more education as to how to run the camera.

Auto Mode is indicated here.

What about doing your own with a remote release? Sounds as if they might turn out better than having hubby help.

Or, you could give him a little more education as to how to run the camera.

I've tried educating him. But he is a very stubborn type where he does no wrong and he knows all. If I try explaining anything to him on correction or how to he get rather angry, so I avoid that bit. I will have to try the remote. Never thought of that. Or maybe set up on tripod and such and give remote to hubby so he can't touch anything on the camera and just hit shutter. What I think he was doing was trying to get "creative" and do his own thing since he knows more than me LOL. But if give him remote and nothing else to touch I may stand a better shot.

Auto Mode is indicated here.

Yes the camera was in about as auto mode as can get really. Thought that would be simple enough. But now I really see personally all your gripes about the rush of people getting fancy cameras and thinking vuala officially a pro.

But if give him remote and nothing else to touch I may stand a better shot.

Yes, and then the only variables will be:

1. the timing
2. the frame
3. your child's attention
4. your own patience
5. and hopefully you will get it all done before you lose the light

But if give him remote and nothing else to touch I may stand a better shot.

Yes, and then the only variables will be:

1. the timing
2. the frame
3. your child's attention
4. your own patience
5. and hopefully you will get it all done before you lose the light

I can preframe using my husband as my dummy since we are the same height. I have plenty of patience, I'm the type that takes each moment as it comes. Getting my daughters attention and to get her to smile is not an issue about 90% of the time. Especially with one word she smiles on cue LOL. The only real issue would be timing. That is what would be all in my husbands hands.

All I do is setup the focus point (little red box in Nikon) where I want it, set the focal length and place the camera on P (for pro mode) and had it my my wife, tell her to put the red box on my eye and push the button.

All I do is setup the focus point (little red box in Nikon) where I want it, set the focal length and place the camera on P (for pro mode) and had it my my wife, tell her to put the red box on my eye and push the button.

What red box are you talking about? Are you talking about spot focusing?

Most reactions

Back