I left the dark side :) New Nikon user here

Well prodigy2k7, you have the setup I was talking about lol. That setup will definitely produce some nice pics.

OregonT3i said:
Well prodigy2k7, you have the setup I was talking about lol. That setup will definitely produce some nice pics.

I started with a canon xti and kit lens with 75-300. Neither lens is exactly great but I learned on them and made the best photos I could with the gear I had.

Yeah, I hear you. I started with a Sony a300 with some older Minolta lenses. Then decided to go with a Canon T3i. I had a Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.8, and Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 USM. I used this setup for over a year, and decided it was time to upgrade. My only course of action with Canon was to go with a 7D or higher, since the 60D wouldn't have been a big upgrade over the T3i. As far as lenses, I would have had to get some L lenses to really upgrade over what I already had. It would have been more money than I was willing to spend. I've been doing a lot of reading in the last few months trying to decide between going back to Sony, or trying Nikon.
Ultimately, I decided on Nikon because they have way more lenses and product support than Sony does, and people that shoot with Nikon really seemed to like them.

Now...about that Canon-centric handle you're still stuck with....lol...

Welcome to TPF, where the jokes are funnier, and the beer more expensive, and the parking spaces more difficult to squeeze into than on ANY OTHER web forum dedicated to photography!

Yeah, they say that the mods will change it in extreme circumstances........does this qualify as one???? :)

And thanks alot coastalconn for the link. I appreciate it. That will definitely come in handy.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Nikon side!
Where the ergonomics pleasure your hands and the shutter noise is beautiful..

I loved my D300 and its a fantastic camera. I am also a bargain hunter and just picked up a d700 to replace my d300. Full frame! The D300 is great and I am keeping mine for sports type photography.

Did you already buy the walk around lens? (18-70), too bad because I have the 16-85mm nikon lens up for sale in great condition. its my favorite walk around as 16mm is a great wide range to have.

Also get a zeikos grip for the d300 (I have one) and its great. A lot cheaper than the nikon one too.

Are you thinking wide angle at all? I have the tokina 11-16 2.8 and its amazing.
Also consider the 35mm f/1.8, primes are great and its cheap (~$170). The 50mm might clash too closely to the 60 it sounds like you have

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back