I like it but how aobut you >?

TheCanonMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this is my 1st city pic this is columbus ohio i think im going to go back and do a night shot i worry aobut the light in the right hand top but i can always turn the light out for my light shot i have my ways lol

Columbus.jpg

Personally living in Columbus I know there is a nice river there you could show everyone instead of that pole and the construction zone. Other than that it's a nice angle.

Not the most valuable of critique here, but a quote that you would get from my sister, should she see your photo. She'd call this a "neutron bomb photo" ... all buildings intact, but no more life to be seen. No people, no cars, no stray dog, nothing. Somehow I tend to share her feelings about downtown photos, no matter how much you want to concentrate on the architecture only: they cry for some life. Mostly so when there's a street included. If you want to go into the architecture only, you should maybe try to find different angles or make the photos more abstract. Just my humble opinion.

No offense, but it's boring. It doesn't say anything except here is the city. More importantly, it doesn't evoke emotion.

it is odd to see a city with no movement yes columbus onbly has 700,000 people but not one of them in the shot odd i think o well i was thinking of seting that up as a night stop maybe have some one drive by so i can get the rear light smear

I agree with most of what has been said above, but if you could find a way to size it down, that would be great. At this size, it's just too hard to properly critique.

core_17 said:
I agree with most of what has been said above, but if you could find a way to size it down, that would be great. At this size, it's just too hard to properly critique.

Heh, funny, I'm sitting here going "why is everyone complaining about the size?" but then I'm like "oh right, not everyone is lunatic enough to run 1600x1050 on a laptop." :)

Anyway... the life comments are interesting, I took those as a lesson myself.

What I found with your pictures is something I've grappled with a bit myself, and I'll say the same thing but possible give you another perspective on it.

I -believe- that pictures are more than just the image they portray, they have to carry the emotion with them that you feel that is affected by more than what you can see. The smell of the air, the sounds of the cars or construction, the wafting of a breeze off the nearby body of water, the bustle of the scene, etc. It's really hard to capture these things in an image, so the trick is trying to portray them indirectly, via some of the things people suggested here, such as capturing the people, etc. as well. This is why so many pictures that you take just don't come out the way you expected them to... sure, the image is there, but it can feel flat and lifeless compared to your memory. So I -believe- the trick is to try to tell the story with the composition.

I'm personally still grappling a bit with this one, but maybe some of my thoughts will help you. Certainly, YMMV. :)

Oh one small technical point too, you may want to try to correct for the barreling effect at the outsides of the lens. The building on the left there teetering inwards... looks like maybe you cropped off the right side of the image?

manaheim said:
Oh one small technical point too, you may want to try to correct for the barreling effect at the outsides of the lens. The building on the left there teetering inwards... looks like maybe you cropped off the right side of the image?
If you check all the verticals you will find that they are off. I think the camera wasn't level.
A 'lack' of emotion, people? It all depends upon what you were trying to achieve with the image. If you were trying to communicate an emotion then a lack of it is a problem. But if you are trying to do something else then it isn't a problem.
A lack of people can actualy make a picture. If you photograph something normally busy and catch it in a deserted moment the effect can be strange and disconcerting. It can also help you to concentrate on the buildings - something you would not normally do as the people in the shot would tend to grab your attention.

Hertz van Rental said:
If you check all the verticals you will gind that they are off. I think the camera wasn't level.
A 'lack' of emotion, people? It all depends upon what you were trying to achieve with the image. If you were trying to communicate an emotion then a lack of it is a problem. But if you are trying to do something else then it isn't a problem.
A lack of people can actualy make a picture. If you photograph something normally busy and catch it in a deserted moment the effect can be strange and disconcerting. It can also help you to concentrate on the buildings - something you would not normally do as the people in the shot would tend to grab your attention.

So are you saying that you like it?

i did not have my tripod on me that day it was just a hand shot yes i did crop off a little of the pic you dont see it as bad in the smaller pic but huge like that it is out there real bad i would like to thank all of you for your words on this pic i am starting out so i have sa lot to work on but that is the fun of the job i guess i am working more and more on geting people in my pics i dont much care for people so i offen leave them out of my pics

Texas_Diver said:
So are you saying that you like it?
In a critique liking or disliking an image isn't something that has a bearing.
Like/dislike is a subjective point of view.
A critique should be objective.
I was just making some general observations - including some on comments made by others. Voicing my personal preferences only says something about me - not about the image.

Most reactions

Back