I Love Dance Pics

oldmacman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mcavoyphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I worked with a young dancer yesterday, who is very dynamic. It's difficult to tell from the shots, but at almost 6' she stands a little taller than me. Here are a couple of shots that have been selected so far. C&C if you wish. :)

dance1.jpg

dance2.jpg

As another dance photo fan I love these.

#1 I find the black shadow across the lower body hides the top of her right thigh. To me, together with the fact that the lower leg is bent back and is virtually invisible, this makes the right leg look like a stump cut off at the knee. To be fair, this could just be an effect of seeing it as a small internet image. Other than that it's excellent.

#2 A classic shot, love the use of the long, wispy veil. Personally I'd have made it a bit lighter and cropped closer at the bottom (giving up the veil relection) but that's just personal taste. If we all saw things the same way this would be a very boring world!

Overall, I'd kill to have either of these shots in my portfolio.

By the way, what material is the veil? It gives the effect of woven smoke! Was that your idea or hers?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As another dance photo fan I love these.

#1 I find the black shadow across the lower body hides the top of her right thigh. To me, together with the fact that the lower leg is bent back and is virtually invisible, this makes the right leg look like a stump cut off at the knee. To be fair, this could just be an effect of seeing it as a small internet image. Other than that it's excellent.

#2 A classic shot, love the use of the long, wispy veil. Personally I'd have made it a bit lighter and cropped closer at the bottom (giving up the veil relection) but that's just personal taste. If we all saw things the same way this would be a very boring world!

Overall, I'd kill to have either of these shots in my portfolio.

By the way, what material is the veil? It gives the effect of woven smoke! Was that your idea or hers?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for looking and for your take on the images. You are right about personal taste, because I love the emergence from darkness that the low key image provides, so I don't mind the dark shadow on the right. The horizontal line from her knee to thigh is a rim of light on the raised calf, but I see how that can be easily missed. On the second shot, I actually cropped it narrower than a 2x3 aspect to help give it a sense of height and make it seem like she is really high off the ground. In the colour version, the reflection is more visible because it is blue reflected in the black rather than a dark grey.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback.

Edit - added comment about the muslin. The fabric is a light muslin. I have five colours I take to every shoot as they are light and often add a bit of texture and eye flow to an image. I gave her the fabric, but she certainly brought it to life. :)

I'll be looking for light muslin to complement the silk veils most of my dance subjects use. :thumbup:

...I actually cropped it narrower than a 2x3 aspect to help give it a sense of height and make it seem like she is really high off the ground.

I thought that might have been the reason. If I saw it bigger I might probably agree.

As for the shadow in the first one, my eyes aren't what they used to be :lol: .

Most reactions

Back