I loved the Canon 24-70 f/2.8, but....

I have a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, love that lens. Sometimes I notice that my hand gets in the way of the focus ring when it wants to auto focus, but I don't notice too much because I usually just focus manually.

What would you recommend for a good wide angle lens for a crop sensor camera (outside of Canon's line)?

I bought the 17-40 L obviously and the choice was between it and the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. I've seen tests where the Tamron did better than the Canon. But I don't like to buy APS-C only lenses. The tamron is obvously cheaper. I believe it can be had for less than $400 new.

-JD-

I bought the 17-40 L obviously and the choice was between it and the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. I've seen tests where the Tamron did better than the Canon. But I don't like to buy APS-C only lenses. The tamron is obvously cheaper. I believe it can be had for less than $400 new.

-JD-
Yup, that's the one I'm eyeballing. It's temping to go for the 16-35mm f/2.8 but at $1,400 a copy I just can't make myself do it. I would rather spend the money on another long range lens.

I think the 17-40mm f/4L is a good compromise at $700.

But if I can get as good, or better optics for $400... it's so hard to resist the red ring. Those marketing guys at Canon need a good butt whoopin for making their glass so desirable with that little marketing gimmick. :)

I have both as well. I've been slowly selling my Tamron lenses and upgrading to Canon L series. Tamron has nice, reliable lenses - they're not as sharp, thats for sure.

Or the 28-80 F2.8L which was replaced by the 28-70.

If my memory serves me, the 28-80L prior had a variable aperture not a fixed aperture at f/2.8. It also lacked the USM focusing motor. In terms of optics, going two generations back puts you in the 1980s. During that time, there was a REAL reason for photographers to prefer prime lenses... simply put zooms IQ really sucked. Zooms were still relatively new technology to the consumer 35mm SLR market and there have been leaps of advances since that time.

I haven't shot extensively with the 28-70L (I used to have the 24-70L). There are improvements but they are relatively minor.

What would you recommend for a good wide angle lens for a crop sensor camera (outside of Canon's line)?

Sigma 10-20mm. From what I'm told and photos I've seen, this lens is amazing and probably Sigmas best/top selling lens.

I am researching the Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 right now as well. Both are getting equally great reviews and sound very comparable. I am leaning at the Sigma right now, only because the Tamron is not available at my local shop currently.
As for the wide angle? I have the Sigma 10-20 and freaking love that lens.

To the OP:

If you intend to stay with crop factor cameras, the Tokina line-up is amazing. The 16-50 is a great wide-portrait lens on crop factor.

If you are going to eventually upgrade to full frame, the Sigma 24-70 is a fantastic lens, with a 10 year warranty. Can't really go wrong there. I've met numerous people who are more than content to keep with the Sigma.

To others talking about wide lenses for eventual full frame: Do you really need wider than 24 with full frame? If so, pick up a good prime 20 or 14. If you just want the wide angle to stay on your back-up crop factor body, does it matter if it's an EF-S/DX lens? The Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 10-20 really are great, I especially love the Tokina for that sweet 2.8 aperture (yes, almost useless on a landscape lens, but fun for goofing around with extreme close-up portraits/dog photos :p )

Most reactions

Back