I`m looking for a good camera bag

dantambok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there, I`m looking for a good camera bag thats going to fit my stuff..
gripped 7D
17-55mm Is usm 2.8
100mm macro 2.8L is usm
70-200mm f/2.8L usm
580ex II
50mm 1.8

the 17-55mm 2.8 would be on the camera most of the time. Any suggestions on what bag to get?
thanks! :D

Sling bag, shoulder bag, backpack, rolling bag, belt packs,.... ?

Walk around use, all day use, hiking, traveling, event shooting,...?

What is your budget? Friend of mine bought a rolling bag that can also be a backpack and cost him $450.

I find that I can never have too many camera bags. There isnt 1 bag that does it all. I have one for everyday use, one for hiking and travelling, one to carry all my gear for an event.

My every day bag is the one that gets the most abuse. It is a shoulder bag, but it doesnt look like a camera bag. Its the Lowepro Classified 160 AW

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Classified-160%20AW,2121.htm

18-2121-IMG1.jpeg

It is a deep bag with 2 long seperators for 3 areas. In one area, I can drop in my 70-200 2.8 IS, with the hood off. That gives you an idea of depth. I mount a 28-75 to my 7D and put it in the middle area, with my 10-22 or flash in the third area. It gets heavy, and I rarely put all this gear in.

It looks like a messanger bag, but it opens from the top. You dont need to open the flap to get to the gear. It is quickly accessible. Under the flap is a zipper to make the bag extend a bit, a slide pocket for documents (I put a lumiquest diffuser in there) and a velcro closed pocket that can hold a flash, a charger...

It has an all weather bag built in (hence the AW in the name). My main beef is with the shoulder pad. It doesnt move along the shoulder strap. Minor issue, but no idea why they made it this way.

My hiking traveling pack is a Lowepro Primus AW.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Primus-AW,1995,14.htm

18-1995-IMG1.jpeg

Its a bigger bag with lots of straps and places to adjust the bag. It has a lower section for gear and an upper section for other stuff (or more photo gear! - but its unpadded). In the top section, I have put in there a pair of jeans, shirt, light sweater and a pair of shoes. In the lower section, I can put down my 70-200 2.8, 50mm on the top padded area and then the 10-22 and 28-75 in the other area. There is a side opening that you can quickly get your camera out of when swinging the bag to the front using 1 strap, similar to the fastpack series. Note that you wont be able to fit a gripped body out of this side opening. Side pocket can hold a 1 litre bottle of water. Tripod strap on the back

Shoulder straps are comfortable and adjustable. There is a waist belt and sternum strap. The bag opens from the BACK. So when in a crowd, people cant open zippers. You have to rest the back on its front on the ground to get to the gear (if not using the side access), which is great as the back doesnt get dirty, and this is the part that goes onto your back...so your clothes stay clean.

Its AW as well.

I'm still shopping for an event bag or a bag that can hold 2 bodies, 4-5 lenses, 2 flashes. Debating between Think Tank products, more Lowepro (Computrekker backpack),...

EDIT: and no, I dont work for Lowepro. I just like their gear and their service. Coming back from Australia, I lost the strap for my Primus that holds the tripod to the bag. I was temporarily using a velcro thing. My local shop told me to contact Lowepro for a replacement. I called, asked where I can buy one. Within 4 days, I had one Fedexed to my house, free of charge. Great service, which is key for any company to keep my business

I'm still shopping for an event bag or a bag that can hold 2 bodies, 4-5 lenses, 2 flashes. Debating between Think Tank products, more Lowepro (Computrekker backpack),...
I have a Case Logic backpack that fits that bill, including a 15" laptop compartment that I use for a clipboard and paperwork (model releases mostly) instead.

I love the Lowepro stuff myself. I have the 200aw I believe. Its a backpack style and it holds all I have and leaves more room for what I may get in the future. I don't have a huge arsenal yet so I'm not sure if this will work for you but bigtwinks speaks the truth..they make good stuff.

the lowepro Classified 160 AW looks great.

Im looking for a shoulder bag or backpack. They`re hard to find here in the Philippines so i can`t try them in person if everything fits. I`m just going to order it online. And I`ll spend up to a 100$ if needed, but less is best. :D
thanks

the lowepro Classified 160 AW looks great.

Im looking for a shoulder bag or backpack. They`re hard to find here in the Philippines so i can`t try them in person if everything fits. I`m just going to order it online. And I`ll spend up to a 100$ if needed, but less is best. :D
thanks

Wont get too much for under $100, specially if you include the shipping to get to you.
I bought the Lowepro 160AW for $140 and the Primus was $170. The old Lowepro Slingshot 200AW I had cost me $70, but as was said, I ran out of room quickly. And that was the old model, I think the new ones cost more.

I am planning to get this bag after I watched this video -

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a Tenba messager bag. Lots of room, doesn't look like a camera bag, and mine is purple ;)

The lowepro slingshot 300 is a great bag, I think it's a little over 100 bucks now and I know you can fit all those things and a few more in it. It's very handy and easy to carry. My choice.

I prefer the smaller slingshot, the 100AW but honestly it'd be too little for you. So the 300AW I think is the way to go.

Sling bag, shoulder bag, backpack, rolling bag, belt packs,.... ?

Walk around use, all day use, hiking, traveling, event shooting,...?

What is your budget? Friend of mine bought a rolling bag that can also be a backpack and cost him $450.

I find that I can never have too many camera bags. There isnt 1 bag that does it all. I have one for everyday use, one for hiking and travelling, one to carry all my gear for an event.

My every day bag is the one that gets the most abuse. It is a shoulder bag, but it doesnt look like a camera bag. Its the Lowepro Classified 160 AW

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Classified-160%20AW,2121.htmOutdoor patio furniture

18-2121-IMG1.jpeg

It is a deep bag with 2 long seperators for 3 areas. In one area, I can drop in my 70-200 2.8 IS, with the hood off. That gives you an idea of depth. I mount a 28-75 to my 7D and put it in the middle area, with my 10-22 or flash in the third area. It gets heavy, and I rarely put all this gear in.

It looks like a messanger bag, but it opens from the top. You dont need to open the flap to get to the gear. It is quickly accessible. Under the flap is a zipper to make the bag extend a bit, a slide pocket for documents (I put a lumiquest diffuser in there) and a velcro closed pocket that can hold a flash, a charger...

It has an all weather bag built in (hence the AW in the name). My main beef is with the shoulder pad. It doesnt move along the shoulder strap. Minor issue, but no idea why they made it this way. . . .

I own this same bag and it has served me very nicely. The look is great and I have had no issues with the quality or the functionality. I used to have a Pelican case that held all of my equipment, but it was too bulky. And unless you are planning on shipping your camera via airplane or something, it is probably not worth all of the hassle. Don't get me wrong, the Pelican case protected my equipment very well, it was just very cumbersome to take on smaller shoots. I always ended up putting everything in a little side bag anyways. The LowePro has been a nice alternative.

I LOVE my Clik Elite Hiker.
I use it for both hiking and as my day to day photo bag.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back