I miss shooting ultra wide!

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wish I had an analog setup with an ultra wide lens. I have several working rangefinders, and they are awesome to use, but I've felt the need for wider than my current 40-45mm range :lmao:

I'm planning on getting the Cosina Voigtlander Bessa r3m with the 12,5mm lens. Later I might get a 40mm for that one as well, as I fear that would be my go to setup if I bought it.

Right now, though, I'm saving for a trip to the states, and can't afford to get it! Ahhh I want to shoot wide!

-__________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Yes, of course. Not sure why I thought it was 12,5mm..

I'm not too concerned with sharpness - I don't shoot film to get the crispest shots possible. As for vignetting, that might be a problem. I should be able to dodge in the corners if it's significant, though?

Ive got the 40F1.4 Nokton and 28mmF2 Ultron very nice lenses, R2's and Bessa T can be picked up much cheaper

I do the cheap way on my Pentax film ones. I have a W/A adapter for my old video camera that goes on the front of the lens. Using the 28-80 zoom I can have either a very wide angle to a fisheye. I have a Spiratone Wide convertor also and that is even more wide angle. I have gotten my own feet in the picture when shooting straight ahead. By shootiing a little stopped down I get great results and didn't spend a fortune on it. Great for indoor shots but if you use flash you won't get the whole field covered.

I like the lens although its not one I carry very often. I acquired it well after the convenience of digital won me over so I have limited experience with it on a film rangefinder. It performs better (at the corners) on film rather than digital due to color casts and vignetting from the angle of incidence of such a wide lens on a short flange. Mine is the older screwmount which is the same optics as the newer M-mount version but not rangefinder coupled. It was used with the rather awesome 12mm voigtlander viewfinder... extremely bright. Warning... the viewfinder fell off my camera's shoe while I was in NYC. I bought a replacement at B&H the same day BUT it wasn't cheap. I had to purchase a special ring designed for it to use filters.

Surprisingly, I used it more as a walk around lens (lots of NYC shots) rather than the intended landscapes. DOF field is so deep. I simply zone focus it and shoot at the hip. Its sharp enough. Don't have a lot online with this lens but here are a few.

5248144028_d673c8496b_b.jpg

5633326390_af8e23687e_b.jpg

5632797659_56dac52302_b.jpg

IR works well with it

5920292702_bc29bd46e5_b.jpg

I don't shoot film to get the crispest shots possible.
Why not ? Do you think TX cannot deliver that ? It can and it will, but first you have to free yourself from conventional approach to film development like: "D76 best for everything".

This lens seems to have a lot of space distortions at the edges...or I had already too much beer and see elongated faces. :lol:

Wide-Angle lenses are cheaper for SLR's, and you can get an inexpensive adapter to use on the rangefinder. If you do not mind scale-focus, and a bigger lens- might be worth considering.

24/2.8 Nikkor, at F2.8, on a Leica M8:

Attachments

• $shuttle_nikkor_on_leica.jpg
    $shuttle_nikkor_on_leica.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 187
BrianV said:
Wide-Angle lenses are cheaper for SLR's, and you can get an inexpensive adapter to use on the rangefinder. If you do not mind scale-focus, and a bigger lens- might be worth considering.

24/2.8 Nikkor, at F2.8, on a Leica M8:

I found ultra wides less than 20mm is about the same cost on either.

If the heliar 12mm is too expensive, the voigtlander 15mm is sig cheaper.

There is a huge jump between 40mm and 12mm. There is a lot in between that can be had for much less money. I'm not big on wide-angle lenses, 28mm is my widest RF lens. Wider than that, I use the adapter for F-Mount 24mm and 20mm.

Most reactions

Back