I need a filter, and need it fast. 77mm UV - Recommendations

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Reviews on UV filters are terrible, unless you get to the $80+ range.

I just spent $1,000 on a lens (17-55 IS) and certainly want to protect it. All I need, is a filter that protects the lens, and doesn't reduce IQ. C'mon, it can't be too hard to find!

Is there anything reasonable under $50?

(trying to get my order in before BH closes for 2 weeks :))

I need to add...this is to protect my lens from flying globs of clay.

for $50, might as well just get a tiffen if you're going to use a filter.

well, I went ahead and just ordered the lens hood for my soon-to-come 17-55. I'll probably get a cheapo filter from BB and only use it when I absolutely need one.

Most of the time while shooting dirt track auto races, I am in the middle, and the cars fling dirt to the OUTSIDE of the track. There are only a few times I am standing outside the track taking pictures when the cars are flinging dirt at me. That's not very often, and during that I would be fine with a cheaper UV filter, even if it gets softer pictures, just to have that protection.

I have read somewhere on this forum that the Hoya HMC Super is supposed to be a good bang for the buck. No idea what it costs in the states though, but it should be near your $50 limit.

Worry not.
When people say that filters degrade IQ they don't mean that pictures taken with the filter turn to crap. It just means that under certain conditions and circumstances, you might experience loss of quality to some (not great) extent. Like if you shoot directly into a light source, you'll get three flares instead of two. That kinda thing.

Don't worry. Get the best you can, but don't let it get to you. You should be fine with those cool-colored multi-coated ones.

Worry not.
When people say that filters degrade IQ they don't mean that pictures taken with the filter turn to crap. It just means that under certain conditions and circumstances, you might experience loss of quality to some (not great) extent. Like if you shoot directly into a light source, you'll get three flares instead of two. That kinda thing.

Don't worry. Get the best you can, but don't let it get to you. You should be fine with those cool-colored multi-coated ones.

Well this issue is...

I have a $20 77mm filter (cheap hoya). When it's on, the images aren't sharp. When it's off, the images get sharp again.

I don't know what to tell you.
I surely wasn't talking about really cheap filters, but of acceptably priced medium quality filters.

Then again, can you really tell that a picture was taken behind a glass window or through a windshield, if they are clean?

I can't, and those are 5-6 times thicker than filters and not intended for such use.

So maybe we're not equally sensitive to IQ degradation.

I don't know what to tell you.
I surely wasn't talking about really cheap filters, but of acceptably priced medium quality filters.

Then again, can you really tell that a picture was taken behind a glass window or through a windshield, if they are clean?

I can't, and those are 5-6 times thicker than filters and not intended for such use.

So maybe we're not equally sensitive to IQ degradation.

Good point. I'm probably way too picky about it. Most of these people are buying 4x6's to 8x10's anyway, and on those it would be hard to tell lack of sharpness.

Most of the time while shooting dirt track auto races, I am in the middle, and the cars fling dirt to the OUTSIDE of the track.

ric·o·chet
noun 1.the motion of an object or a projectile in rebounding or deflecting one or more times from the surface over which it is passing or against which it hits a glancing blow.

I don't normally shoot in the conditions you do and rarely use a UV or similar filter on my "big glass". (Always the hood though) BUT IF I DID, I would have a piece of glass protecting my front element. Don't forget the old saying "$hit happens"......and I would put a decent piece in front to boot.

There was a bunch of hub-bub about filters over at dpreview and some guy did a comparison between a Hoya HMC, another high-end one and a cheap ebay one, and then an image with no filter. He had everyone try and guess which filters are which from a %100 crop, and to be honest, the $20 ebay one didn't look much worse than the Hoya HMC.

Not trying to give bad advice, I would just make sure and do your research before you drop an unecessary $80 extra. I'll go hunt around for the thread and post it up.

alright. You know...honestly buying an $80 filter won't be worth it. That's 60 bucks that won't pay for itself in extra sales.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind. I think I'll go for a cheap filter from the camera shop, and then a cheap ebay filter. (I need one now, and can wait on the other). We'll see if there's much difference.

Most reactions

Back