I need a good point & shoot camera! Any rec's?

jess_k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have a Nikon D50, but want to get a 2nd camera that I can take out with me & not have to worry about how large it is, how expensive it is, etc...

I recently took back two Nikon's because the photo quality was so incredibly grainy & had almost a halo effect around the edges of people especially. The Nikon S52 & the Nikon Coolpix S610. I picked up a Panasonic Lumix FZ28 yesterday & am not thrilled with it either. I've adjusted all of the settings, even had the people at the camera store look at them & they seem to be on all the appropriate settings.

Is there a point & shoot camera out there that takes clear photos? Am I just used to the clear crisp photos I am getting with my D50 that I am being too picky? I am a graphic designer so I am usually not printing my photos, but rather using them for online purposes.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I really like the sx110. We have it for 280$, and I think it's worth the money(I've sold four in a month...). All the modes of a SLR, 10x optical zoom, IS, etc...

canon powershot s5

hands down. I have one but just bought a xsi. the s5 is the most slr like point and shoot, takes phenomenal photos

I've used the S5 and I must say the pics are very nice!

Awesome! Now I need to go return this camera & pick up that one. Thanks! :mrgreen:

The G9's have an incredible reputation with the Stobist group. The results that I saw were darn impressive too.

I have a D50, but I still love my Canon Powershot A620. It takes amazing pictures. I'd go with Canon for a P&S.

The G9's have an incredible reputation with the Stobist group. The results that I saw were darn impressive too.

It's been replaced by the G10 so if can find one still you ought to be able to get a good deal. As JerryPH indicated they are a highly touted P&S with some nice features. Having a hot shoe is just one of the nice features.

The G-series is a long line of unbeatable P&S camera with near DSLR features.

There should be some good discounts on the G9. Got a bit more $$$, upgrade to the G10. A bit on a budget? Go for the G6. All have full compatibility with canon EX line of cameras (but you shoot with Nikon).

Nikon just released a competitor but I know nothing about it:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cpp6000.asp

My G5 still serves me well.

Love my G9.

Apparently Nikon just brought out a competitor - the P6000 maybe? It supposedly has the same menu structure as the Nikon dSLRs, so that should be something to consider.

have you looked at Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1?
here is a review
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicG1/

its small and yet having superior performance compared to regular p&s probably because of its much larger sensor but I dont know the price of it though most probably a bit higher than a regular p&s

I will go for the Canon powershot series. They are great for point and shoot.

Most reactions

Back