I need a jumping off point...

I think the forum moderators should take not that I refrained from any pointless or tasteless jokes about a jumping off point in the previous post. I need karma points.

Bob, it was just an observation. up until that post you had made a total of 5....of which in 4 of them you evangelized canon. didn't mean to rub the fur the wrong way.

i also don't think that anyone can argue that the k1000 isn't an excellent machine.

My goodness you mean there really is such a thing. I meant like Karma. Like I didnt say anything "Mandaesque" pottymothedness. :) :p

lol Tyjax.....

yah, on usefilm.com there is 'karma' and 'charisma'. you get points for making comments and for uploading photos.

a decent business model, but it sure did elicit the, 'nice shot', 'i love the colors!', and 'neato composition with the lens cap half on', comments a mile deep. i had to depart; too many utopian commentaries and not enough reality for this chap.

to bring it back on subject, the k-1000 is not an incredible machine? Or it is???

it is indeed. take a look at some of the reviews when you get a chance. can't find a single bad one:

http://www.photographyreview.com/PRD_84322_3105crx.aspx

here is an excerpt from one of them:

Summary:
I recieved my K1000 as a gift when I took a black and white photo class in high school. This is a great camera to learn on, and it takes awesome pictures. While I'm not sure exactley how old my camera is, I'd say at least 15 years and I've never had any problems with it. I've been working in a camera shop for the past four years, and even with all the cool new camera models that are out I have still not considered replacing mine. I would highly recommend this camera.

at the time i acquired my pentax p3, it was presented to me without much of a choice. if i had a choice, i would've chosen the k1000 hands down.

I was looking at some k1000's on ebay and had a question. What does instant-return type mirror mean exactly, and also, when a camera is described as Through the lens, what exactly does that mean. Is that in regards to the meter? Thanks

Ben

Pasternak said:
I was looking at some k1000's on ebay and had a question. What does instant-return type mirror mean exactly, and also, when a camera is described as Through the lens, what exactly does that mean. Is that in regards to the meter? Thanks
Instant return means that you press the shutter release, the mirror flips up, the shutter opens, the shutter closes, then the mirror flips down again. As far as I know, every SLR made over the past ~45 years has had an instant return mirror, starting with the Asahiflex IIb in 1953. Before that, the mirror would stay up until you advanced the film, which I'd imagine was decidedly inconvenient! I'm not entirely sure what you're specifically refering to in your second question. Do you understand the basics of how an SLR works?

Pasternak said:

Yes, Through the lens or TTL is taking about the light meter

Jeff Canes said:
Yes, Through the lens or TTL is taking about the light meter
It could just as well be the viewfinder, through the lens is a bit ambiguous ;). That's why I was asking if he knew how an SLR works.

Well, If this was an essay question in Photography 101 on how an SLR works I would probably BS my way into a C-. So if you guys want to unload some knowledge on me go ahead. As a side note, I was wondering, can you change lenses in the middle of a roll of film, I didnt think so, but someone told me that double check. Thanks.

Ben

whew, back from gallivanting.

now then. yes, you can most certainly change lenses mid roll. the shutter is closed until you open it with the press of the shutter release.

actually, you don't really need to know much at all about an slr at this point. what matters now is that you do exactly what you are doing; research and ask questions to determine what makes sense for you and we will make sure we recommend something that is better than decent and won't let a piece of crap enter your hands. when you get the camera and play w/it for a bit and read the manual, then i think it's time for the nitty gritty. if you'd rather hash it out over a 3mm or 2mm spot, by all means say so and we'll oblige.

you can say:

'i want to be able to meter by looking through the thingy'
'i want the thingy that you can manually turn to adjust the light coming in through the thingy'

we have you covered. brass tacks can come later.

the mirror return question has been very ably answered.

what else?

Thanks again. I went to check out a local camera store and they had two k1000's. Both have the Asahi logo above the pentax logo, and they claimed that it is just the same as a run of the mill pentax k1000, just made somewhere else for pentax. They wanted 160 for one of the used bodies, and 140 for the other one, which had a little more wear. I got them to go down to 130 on the one that was priced at 140, but with no lenses or accessories, I said forget it. I want the camera but I also have buying integrity and refused to be had.

Ebay has about 8 auctions ending a day, and a lot of the times they have additional lenses and flashes included. I guess a lot of people give up and sell their lot.

Should I use ebay if it feels right? Or should I buy locally? Thanks.

Ben

Most reactions

New Topics

Back