I need advice.. ASAP

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a photography student. Recently, to help compile a portfolio, I began taking pictures of my friends and family. I also gave my "business" a name. I'm far from a professional, but everyone has to start somewhere. A local photographer (17 years old with a rebel, never taken a class on photography) has started slandering me on facebook. She hasn't used my name, but it's clear she is talking about me. Apparently, I "just picked up a camera and began shooting in auto mode and now I'm a photographer, my images look like crap, and I am copying her." The sad thing is, when she started taking pictures 6 months ago, SHE ASKED MY ADVICE ON HOW TO USE PHOTOSHOP! (I've restored photos for years.) This is all so childish, but I just don't know what to do.

Block her in Facebook and move on people will see how childish she is acting.

Never argue with an idiot..... they will always drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Fuhgeddabowdit.

Let it go. She's not worth your effort. Yes, we all start somewhere. I didn't open my business until I had worked several years for other studios and now I make a very good living. But I would never have been as successful as I am if I had not seen first hand how others ran their business, learned about things that can go wrong, techniques they just don't show you in school, etc... Just do your best, practice shooting, and never stop learning.

I'm a photography student. Recently, to help compile a portfolio, I began taking pictures of my friends and family. I also gave my "business" a name. I'm far from a professional, but everyone has to start somewhere. A local photographer (17 years old with a rebel, never taken a class on photography) has started slandering me on facebook. She hasn't used my name, but it's clear she is talking about me. Apparently, I "just picked up a camera and began shooting in auto mode and now I'm a photographer, my images look like crap, and I am copying her." The sad thing is, when she started taking pictures 6 months ago, SHE ASKED MY ADVICE ON HOW TO USE PHOTOSHOP! (I've restored photos for years.) This is all so childish, but I just don't know what to do.

Block her on Facebook, ignore her posts and stop whining.

I suggest you post the following on her wall:

"Hi (name),
I was looking at some of your images, I would just like to hope you do well with photography.
I know you have asked me for help in the past and I hope you have learned from my help.
I would be glad to help you with your photography any time you need me."

I bet she will rage so much from it :) Also, can you link us to the page? :D :p

i agree. block, unfriend, do everything and anything to get away.

Christina offers you good advice - you will find it very difficult to make it in photography long term without a mentor while you are learning and I mean a real face to face mentor who is a working photographer. Forget the social networking; if the comments get to you don't log on. Some years ago, a particularly nasty competitor stood outside my studio and declared that a photo in the window was crap. I told him that there were only two people in town whose feedback I was not interested in hearing - his and the other studio owner since neither of them were potential customers. They have both been gone for quite a while now. Good luck.
JohnBoy

Retaliation will only make you look childish as well. If it comes down to is and there is proof that she is targeting you specifically and harming your business, then a lawyer will probably shut her up pretty quick with a simple threat for committing liable and slandering your good name. I'd take that as a last resort only and only if you have proof that she is affecting your business.

Other than that, keep doing what your doing and people will see your work and you'll be able to get your name out there. If you really are a talented photographer, your work and business acumen will get you noticed, not a petty war of words with a fellow photographer.

Never argue with an idiot..... they will always drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Fuhgeddabowdit.

:thumbup::lmao:! Great advice! Like others have said move on and forget about it...

Most reactions

Back