I need advice on f/settings on my dslr

newphotographer2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am trying to set my camere to f/3.5 which my camera lens saids it can goto but I can only manage f/5.6 , what am i not doing!?

I'm guessing your lens states the range from f/3.5 - f/5.6

These are the widest apertures it has, at it's shortest and longest focal length.

As long as you're on the shortest focal length you can set to 3.5... if you're zoomed in all the way, you'll be limited to f5.6

Last edited:
Yeah.. what Buck said. :) hehehehe

I'm guessing your lens states the range from f/3.5 - f/5.6

These are the widest apertures it has, at it's shortest and longest focal length.

As long as you're on the shortest focal length you can set to 3.5... if you're zoomed in all the way
, you'll be limited to f5.6

Problem solved at 18mm i can set it to f/3.5

Then you should be able to get f/3.5 at the short end (18mm).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sony does make a few lenses which provide f/2.8 all the way through the zoom range (there's a 16-50mm, a 24-70mm, a 24-75mm, and a 70-200mm). These will tend to be expensive lenses (zooms that can provide a constant f/2.8 focal ratio all the way through the range always are expensive.) They'll also tend to be larger and heavier (maintaining that wide aperture all the way through requires a large physical diameter, which means each glass element within the lens is larger so the whole thing weighs a lot more.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back