I need glass recommendations for D7000

Is the 50mm f1.8 G better than the 50f1.8D?

Yes - much better. Do not buy the 50mm f/1.8 D.

I will be shooting portrait, landscape.

The 50 1.8G will be decent for portraits on a DX. I still think the D7000 kit lens - 18-105mm - is good to start with. A good walk around lens with decent range.
Use it till you learn the camera and can see what you shoot the most. Otherwise you're just throwing money at what you think you want rather than what you need.
The 24-120 f/4 is good, but really not wide enough on a DX if it's your only lens - and it's $1200. You'd be better saving the cash and adding the Tamron 70-300 and a used SB600 or an SB700 speedlight at some point.
That would give you off camera flash, a fast prime, and you'd be covered from 18-300mm. If you really don't want the 18-105, then the 16-85 is twice as much $$ but is better build quality (and marginally better image quality).
The 16-85 is a better lens, but the 18-105 is a better deal when bought with a body.

My 2 cents.

I did look at that 24-120 and that is more than I want to spend for glass right now.
I can get the 18-105 with body for $1500, or the 18-200 vr & body for $2050. I will probably get the 18-105 & body, I don't want to spend that much since the wife really wants to get a 50mm for sure and I will get that for sure with 1 other lens.

What is better a 35 or 50, help me to understand why one is better over the other or does it come down to preference?

Sleist thanks for your help.

I myself own d7000

Don't go with 50m

35m is better...

For a second lens i would actually go for 18-200 for its focal range

But i guess depends what you do...

I travel a lot and 18-200 for everyday and 35m for low light... Sound good to me.

Isn't the 35 vs 50 come down to personal preference?

To a large degree, yes. It actually comes down to what you need for what you're shooting. The 35 and the 50 f/1.8 G lenses are both excellent values.
Based on your desire to shoot portraits, I suggested the 50 over the 35. The out of focus rendering of the 50 is more pleasant than the 35 in my opinion.
Both are sharp stopped down a bit. 50mm is a better focal length for portraits in DX.

I much prefer the 50 f/1.8G over the 35 f/1.8G DX. I've shot with both lenses on a D90.
Gave them to my son to use on his D5000. He prefers the 50 as well. The 35 had been his favorite.

Get the 50mm f/1.8G and if you want to go a little wider in a prime later on, you can pick up the 35mm (or check out the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DX ;) )

Good luck!

I own a D90, which is the D7000's granny, with the 16-85, 50D and 70-300 VR.

First lens to buy is a walk-around zoom (the 16-85 is indeed expensive, but very well built and very sharp even wide open. You'll only change it when you go FF).
Then you can get a prime 50 for portraits (like I did, on an APS-C sensor the 50 will give you the FoV of a short tele, which is great) and a wide angle for landscapes (which I did not, I got a tele for sports and birds instead).

Ciao!

Between 35 and 50 on a D7000... and I own all three! Depends on what you are shooting primarily!

People.. go 50! 1.5 crop will give about 75mm FOV... great for portraiture, and as a general purpose lens

landscapes.. go 35! The 35mm G can have really nasty CA, and can have very unacceptable distortion for portraiture

To a large degree, yes. It actually comes down to what you need for what you're shooting. The 35 and the 50 f/1.8 G lenses are both excellent values.
Based on your desire to shoot portraits, I suggested the 50 over the 35. The out of focus rendering of the 50 is more pleasant than the 35 in my opinion.
Both are sharp stopped down a bit. 50mm is a better focal length for portraits in DX.

I much prefer the 50 f/1.8G over the 35 f/1.8G DX. I've shot with both lenses on a D90.
Gave them to my son to use on his D5000. He prefers the 50 as well. The 35 had been his favorite.

Get the 50mm f/1.8G and if you want to go a little wider in a prime later on, you can pick up the 35mm (or check out the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DX ;) )

Good luck!

First lens to buy is a walk-around zoom (the 16-85 is indeed expensive, but very well built and very sharp even wide open. You'll only change it when you go FF).
Then you can get a prime 50 for portraits (like I did, on an APS-C sensor the 50 will give you the FoV of a short tele, which is great) and a wide angle for landscapes (which I did not, I got a tele for sports and birds instead).

Ciao!

Between 35 and 50 on a D7000... and I own all three! Depends on what you are shooting primarily!

People.. go 50! 1.5 crop will give about 75mm FOV... great for portraiture, and as a general purpose lens

landscapes.. go 35! The 35mm G can have really nasty CA, and can have very unacceptable distortion for portraiture

Thanks guys for the help after talking to my wife she is really set on the 50 and what you guys have said about it certainly leads me that way, so the 50 it is.

What about sigma or tamron glass in stead of the nikons with the same specs, won't they be cheaper and similar quality?

Good luck!

Ciao!

Thanks guys for the help after talking to my wife she is really set on the 50 and what you guys have said about it certainly leads me that way, so the 50 it is.

What about sigma or tamron glass in stead of the nikons with the same specs, won't they be cheaper and similar quality?

If you are going 1.8... get the Nikon! Seriously! 1.4... either the Nikon or the Sigma. Sometimes with Sigma's, you have to try several copies of a lens to get a good one (backfocusing issues).. Nikon usually is dead on with no problems.

If you are going 1.8... get the Nikon! Seriously! 1.4... either the Nikon or the Sigma. Sometimes with Sigma's, you have to try several copies of a lens to get a good one (backfocusing issues).. Nikon usually is dead on with no problems.[/QUOTE]

I will be getting the nikon 50 1.8 for sure, as well as a 18-200 or 18-105, probably 18-105 since it is cheaper with the kit.

Good stuff good stuff. im in the same boat as th OP. you listed some good lens for me to research. I got tired of my 18-105mm and 55-200mm lens and is trying to sell to purchuse new walk around lens. Sigma and tamron did have many lens on thier sites, many of sigma's were discontinued.

I just calibrated all of my lenses, and actually, my 50mm 1.8 was out the most, which surprised me. My Sigma 150 2.8 was perfect, my Sigma 120-300 2.8 was out about +7 and my 35-70 2.8 was out about -6.

In any case, slight front and back focussing issues aren't nearly the problem they are made out to be on online forums. Today is the first day I have ever calibrated these and I have had these for years and not really seen a problem.

Irregardless, for a mid-range zoom on a budget, I am a fan of the Nikon 35-70 2.8. It can be had for around $300 bucks and it is an absolute steal at that price. It's a nice portrait lens on a crop sensor as long as you are not shooting into the sun(It was designed before all of the fancy nano-coating and in certain situations, flare can be an issue.)

Either way, for the money, it is hard to beat.

I see alot of suggestions again for the 35 1.8 again. I just sold mine and haven't regretted it since! It was sharp as hell but I fail to see what else it was good for, poor bokeh even when close focussed, barrel distortion and poor CA control.

Get the Sigma 50 1.4.

I just ordered the D7000 with 18-105 & 50 1.8G will be here on Thursday.

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions.

LizardKing said:
You should probably do some more research and thinking before deciding to go with the 1.8G because someone here says it's better than the 1.4G... I'm not saying it isn't, since I don't really know much about lenses yet... But I own a 50mm 1.4G and a D7000 and just couldn't be happier with it... So, djacobox372 could be right, but it's just one opinion.

I agree with you about research, dont trust anything you here on the internet unless you see it repeated by many sources, as in this case.

Every comparison of the 1.8 and the 1.4 has had the 1.8 win out in sharpness, contrast, and focus speed. The f1.4g does have a couple extra aperture blades which may improve bokeh when stopped down (subjective).

Most reactions

Back