I need help picking a digital Camera

Tamara

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!
This is actually my first post to this forum, but I have been lurking for a month or so.
I own a Minolta QTsi SLR and will be looking to buy a digital SLR in about 4 months. I am wondering if you can help me chose the perfect (or as perfect as I can get;)) digital. I basically want to expand what I can offer.
I currently have a 28-80mm lense for my film SLR, and while I have been having a BLAST taking pics with it, I really want a better zoom ability.
I guess what I really want is a lense that has a higher range of zoom and will also do some closer up photos as well, something I wont really have to change all that often.
My price range will be around $1000-$1250, so I have a bit to play with. I see alot of Canon Rebels, and hear ALOT about then, but I really dont know much about digital at all....esp since the one I have now only cost me $100!
And also, not sure entirely about lenses, the capability etc.
If you can give me any advice on what camera to buy or what lense would be most beneficial to me I would greatly appreciate it!
:D
Thanks!
Tamara

DocFrankenstein said:
So you have Canon rebel with the kit lens right now?
No, I dont have a Canol Rebel, I see alot and hear alot about the Rebels. I am wondering what type of digital SLR to go with, and hearing alot about them, I assume they are good?
All I have is a film Minolta SLR and wondering what I should go with for a digital SLR.
I want a lense that has a little more play lets say than the 28-80 I have for my film camera.

Both the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70 will fit nicely in your budget. Best advice I can give is to go to a local camera store and shoot with both of them to see which fits best in your hands and and which one you are most comfortable with. I come from a "blended" camera household. I shoot with the Canon 10D and my fiancee uses the D70. Because I shoot professionally and my camera gets a lot of use I really feel the 10D was the best bet for me personally. However, I love the D70 as well. I really like how quickly it turns on and it's battery life is amazing. On a recent photo trip my 10D went through 2 batteries and the D70 was still going on its one, and I took less photos.

I've held both the Rebel and the D70 and I preferred the look and feel of the D70. The controls also made more sense to me. Also check out www.dpreview.com for a side by side comparison.

As far as lenses go...if you're looking for a good zoom you might like a range of 70-200 or so. Sigma makes a 70-300 macro but I've heard mixed reviews about those. What type of photography do you shoot? I do mainly portraits, and a lot with children so I need a lens that can focus very quickly and one that allows me to have good control over the DOF. If you do a lot of landscapes what you look for in a lens will be very different.

Welcome to TPF!

Welcome to the forum. :)

Have you looked at the Minolta Maxxum 7D? http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Konica_Minolta/konicaminolta_7d.asp
You could probably use your current lens & future lenses on both cameras. Although, since you only have one Minolta lens, changing systems to Canon or Nikon would not really be a bad choice.

I think that the Canon Rebel is probably the best digital camera for the money. It's inexpensive for a DSLR and the image quality is really good. Plus, you are buying into the Canon system which is one of the best. There are some other good cameras around that price range; the new Digital Rebel XT, the Nikon D70, the Pentax *ist Ds...etc.

Your best bet would be to go into a camera store and look around. Hold the different cameras and see which one feels good in your hands. The New Digital Rebel XT is quite a bit smaller than the older model...if you have small hands, that may be a good fit for you.

By the way...where in Alberta do you live?

AlisonPower said:
Both the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70 will fit nicely in your budget. Best advice I can give is to go to a local camera store and shoot with both of them to see which fits best in your hands and and which one you are most comfortable with. I come from a "blended" camera household. I shoot with the Canon 10D and my fiancee uses the D70. Because I shoot professionally and my camera gets a lot of use I really feel the 10D was the best bet for me personally. However, I love the D70 as well. I really like how quickly it turns on and it's battery life is amazing. On a recent photo trip my 10D went through 2 batteries and the D70 was still going on its one, and I took less photos.

I've held both the Rebel and the D70 and I preferred the look and feel of the D70. The controls also made more sense to me. Also check out www.dpreview.com for a side by side comparison.

As far as lenses go...if you're looking for a good zoom you might like a range of 70-200 or so. Sigma makes a 70-300 macro but I've heard mixed reviews about those. What type of photography do you shoot? I do mainly portraits, and a lot with children so I need a lens that can focus very quickly and one that allows me to have good control over the DOF. If you do a lot of landscapes what you look for in a lens will be very different.

Welcome to TPF!

WOW! Thank you for your wonderful reply.
First~ To answer your question about types of photography I do...
I do alot of portrait and animal shots. I LOVE walking aorund in the outdoors and see what I can find. Yesterday we went fishing and I had the best time following around a swimming muskrat, and then later I took pics of a gopher popping in and out of his hole.
I was thinking a "faster" lense b/c when I was taking the muskrat shots, he seemed faster than what my lense would shoot.
I take landscapes as well, but I am happy with my current lense for the landscapes.....
I really want to get into more portraits tho, I have been using my fiance as a model, and will soon be taking pregnancy shots of my best friend...

Thanks also for suggesting the 70-200 Sigma. I will have to check it out. A friend of mine has a 100-300 and was giong to bring it for me to check it out, with some pics he has taken with it. Not sure of the brand name at all. Eventually I will be able to afford whatever lense I may want, but with our wedding ocming up in less than 5 months, I am just trying to go with what will be best for now! LOL!

THANKS agian for all of your help :)

Big Mike said:
Welcome to the forum. :)

Have you looked at the Minolta Maxxum 7D? http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Konica_Minolta/konicaminolta_7d.asp
You could probably use your current lens & future lenses on both cameras. Although, since you only have one Minolta lens, changing systems to Canon or Nikon would not really be a bad choice.

I think that the Canon Rebel is probably the best digital camera for the money. It's inexpensive for a DSLR and the image quality is really good. Plus, you are buying into the Canon system which is one of the best. There are some other good cameras around that price range; the new Digital Rebel XT, the Nikon D70, the Pentax *ist Ds...etc.

Your best bet would be to go into a camera store and look around. Hold the different cameras and see which one feels good in your hands. The New Digital Rebel XT is quite a bit smaller than the older model...if you have small hands, that may be a good fit for you.

By the way...where in Alberta do you live?

NO, I actually havent looked into the Minolta DSLR's at all. We actually do have an authorized Minolta dealership here as well I do believe.
If I could I would def stick with the Minolta, I just havent heard too much about this brand. The camera I have now was a gift, so I didnt chose it myself. I find it very easy to use, altho get annoyed with the AF feature at times.....(Yes, I never seem to remember to turn it off!)
I iwll check that link out ASAP!
I think the fact that I could interchange the lenses is a definate plus for me. I will eventually be buying many lenses, but as our wedding is coming up in less than 5 Months, I am waiting on spending too much until afterwards!

Your point about the Canon Rebel is exactly why I have doubts about buying another Minolta. I havent read REALLY GREAT reviews, and always here about the Rebel.

And I do have small hands, the Minolta I have now IS PERFECT!

I live in Medicine Hat!Home of the world's Tallest teepee:p
Thanks for all of your help!

I've never been to Medicine Hat but I love the area...Southern Alberta as a whole is one of the most beautiful places...I'd love to travel around it some day soon. World's tallest Teepee eh? I keep telling myself that I'm going to go from town to town, photographing the world's largest "whatever".

I'm also getting married this year and struggling to justify the cost of getting a DSLR. I'm looking at the Canon 20D...and with my luck there will probably be a new model to drool over, once I finally get it.

If you haven't already, pick up a copy of the latest Popular Photography, they have a comparison of 7 or 8 DSLRs under $2500 US. The Maxxum D7, Canon Rebel, 20D & Nikon D70 are all covered.

Minolta DSLRs should not be your first choice.

I'd recommend Canon 300D (digital rebel)... you can pick one up used for about 650 now... and the rest of the budget (and a few times over) you'll want for the lenses.

Good zooms cost a lot of money.

Big Mike said:
I've never been to Medicine Hat but I love the area...Southern Alberta as a whole is one of the most beautiful places...I'd love to travel around it some day soon. World's tallest Teepee eh? I keep telling myself that I'm going to go from town to town, photographing the world's largest "whatever".

I'm also getting married this year and struggling to justify the cost of getting a DSLR. I'm looking at the Canon 20D...and with my luck there will probably be a new model to drool over, once I finally get it.

If you haven't already, pick up a copy of the latest Popular Photography, they have a comparison of 7 or 8 DSLRs under $2500 US. The Maxxum D7, Canon Rebel, 20D & Nikon D70 are all covered.

I agree, Southern Alberta is very beautiful. Alot of different scenereries.
Oh yah, the Worlds largest teepee ;) OMG, you might be travelling a long time if you want to do that!LOL!

Oh, you are getting married this year too? Ours is in August, but of course, I am involved in a wedding forum so no need to go into that here!:p

I will pick up that mag, Thank you very much for suggesting it!

DocFrankenstein said:
Minolta DSLRs should not be your first choice.

I'd recommend Canon 300D (digital rebel)... you can pick one up used for about 650 now... and the rest of the budget (and a few times over) you'll want for the lenses.

Good zooms cost a lot of money.

Can you tell me why a Minolta DSLR would be a good choice? Are you recommending a cheaper camera so I can invest in lenses?
Wouldn't it be a plus that I could interchange my lenses?

I would rather buy new, so I will look into the Canon 300D, as I said before, I hear ALOT about Canon Rebel, but didnt want to buy it b/c it was what seemed "in"

Thank you for your reply:)

Tamara said:
Can you tell me why a Minolta DSLR would be a good choice? Are you recommending a cheaper camera so I can invest in lenses?
Wouldn't it be a plus that I could interchange my lenses?
I am not recommending you a minolta. No way.

I do recommend you a cheaper camera body. The prices for DSLRs are falling real fast, so unless you're a pro and really need the bells and whistles, you want to avoid losing money that fast.

2 years ago, 10D was going for almost 2 grand. Now it's 700 bucks used, with a bunch of acessories. And the prices are gonna continue dropping.

The good lenses however, hold their value really well. They can be used for years, and then sold off with minimal losses (this mainly holds true for higher end lenses)

I would rather buy new, so I will look into the Canon 300D, as I said before, I hear ALOT about Canon Rebel, but didnt want to buy it b/c it was what seemed "in"

Thank you for your reply:)
Nothing wrong with buying from the store, especially if you're new and don't know how to check the camera.

I understand your concern about the Drebel. The reason they are "in" is because it's a very good camera for a decent price. I have it and I love it. It's not the best, but you can make very nice 16*20 inch prints with it.

I don't know your requirements. If you don't shoot for money and the world is not going to end if you didn't get the shot, then get the Drebel and some glass.

I currently have a 28-80mm lense for my film SLR, and while I have been having a BLAST taking pics with it, I really want a better zoom ability.
You may think you want better zoom, but you'll sacrifice image quality or tons of money for good zooms.

There are 28-80 zooms for 70 bucks out there, and then there is 24-70 L zoom for 1300. The latter one is worth every penny, the first one I would not touch with a 10 foot pole.

Sooner or later you'll understand it. But it's better sooner, cause you would not lose a couple hundred bucks on crappy zooms.

Cheers

I was in this same position a while back. I have always been a huge minolta fan and always told myself that I would get the minolta whenever it came out with a digital SLR. Well, then they came out with that awesome 7D but the price tag was a little too high for me. I was stuck, then, in between the Canon and Nikon. Long story short, we ended up getting the D70 and haven't looked back. I am a researcher until the skin wears off of my fingers and I kept looking for some huge negative about the D70 and came across none. It's fast, quiet, compact, easy to use, good on batteries...the list goes on and on. Then, another kicker, is that the lens that comes with the kit is AWESOME. If you go and price it out seperately, it's around $400 where in the kit it's only a $200 upgrade. Like Alison was saying, I took well over 1000 pictures in Josua tree and didn't have to change the battery once. That was filling up 2 512MB cards and 2 256MB cards too. I don't mean to sound like a salesman and I'm sure that you'll love whichever camera you choose but I would go and put your hands on both the cameras and shoot them as well to see which one you like the best.

Good luck, sorry to blabber on so long, and let us know how it works out.

Oh, and one more thing. I would never start a Nikon/Canon debate because I have shot with both cameras and love both manufacturers. I just have this one statement to make: Have you noticed that they compare the D70 to the Rebel, the Rebel XT, the 10D, the 20D and the Minolta 7D? This is the reason that it was the number one camera for so long and the reason it makes up for 40% of all digital SLR sales in the world.

DocFrankenstein said:
I am not recommending you a minolta. No way.
Oh, I meant, why WOULDNT you..... :blushing: I should double check my typing.....
And you are right, I am not a pro, I am working on getting better, and if in fact one day I feel I am good enough, I can then go out and buy the better camera.....Thank you for suggesting that, I sometimes get ahead of myself and just feel I should go for the gusto....
And I know exactly what you mean about the 28-80 lense, I supose that was why it was included in the kit I bought.....
I cant thank you enough for your wonderful reply!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back