I need help picking a lens! [time sensitive]

Raz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey!

I've got a question about photography and I'm hoping you can help me out!

Over the past 3 to 4 years I've picked up a few lenses. I'm now trying to get to a more professional level. I am currently using a Canon 70D. My main interests are animals, wildlife, and landscapes.

So with that background, I'm looking for the best lens I can get with a budget of around $1200 (maybe more of needed). I'm going on vacation to the Caribbean and want something that can capture people and the environment. I've heard that the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L is great, however, I've also heard that it doesn't go well with the Canon 70D. Any recommendations or advice?

I was also looking at these:

- Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8

- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L

- Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8

- Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8
(I just feel like 55 is not enough though)

Thanks!

I'm a Nikonian, not a Canonite, so I can't speak to specific lenses or their performance, but if what you're looking for is a general 'walk around' lens, I would go with the 24-105. The wide is a bit narrow on a crop-sensor, but you can always stitch. 105mm is a nice medium tele length.

Well I personally have the Tamron 28-75 and it's a really great lens. It's on my camera 90% of the time and the focal length is great for a walk around lens.

For wildlife-- none of the lenses you mentioned are within the appropriate focal length. I mean you can use them but you won't be able to get a close shot.

Think about renting some of these before you commit to buying one. Also I personally like to invest in the fastest glass possible. All my lenses are 2.8 or wider. If I ever invest in one of those 150-600's though I'll have to settle--- I can't afford fast glass in that focal range... Not to mention the DOF at that compression.

Well I personally have the Tamron 28-75 and it's a really great lens. It's on my camera 90% of the time and the focal length is great for a walk around lens.

For wildlife-- none of the lenses you mentioned are within the appropriate focal length. I mean you can use them but you won't be able to get a close shot.

Think about renting some of these before you commit to buying one. Also I personally like to invest in the fastest glass possible. All my lenses are 2.8 or wider. If I ever invest in one of those 150-600's though I'll have to settle--- I can't afford fast glass in that focal range... Not to mention the DOF at that compression.

My only concern is that the Tamron 28-75 is gonna be too close up with my cropped sensor. Thoughts on this?

My only concern is that the Tamron 28-75 is gonna be too close up with my cropped sensor. Thoughts on this?
Feet. They are Gods gift to photographers. You can step forward and step back.

It would help if you listed what you already had in the way of lenses to be able to advise what you need.

Feet. They are Gods gift to photographers. You can step forward and step back.

It would help if you listed what you already had in the way of lenses to be able to advise what you need.
Sorry. This is what I own:

- Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS: Wide Angle/Landscapes

- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM: Portraits

- Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II: This came with my first DSLR (Canon T3i and I never use it)

- Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3: I will most likely replace my Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS with this)

- Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens: I don't know if I this is a good lens to keep. I should probably sell this if I am keeping the 16-300mm.

- Kenko DG Auto Extension Tube Set: Macro

Don't go too close.

You don't always have to completely fill the frame every time.

Sure, it's nice to frame up a good shot, but if you're farther back, and there's too much extra stuff in the frame, crop later.

I also shoot crop. Very rarely do I need to get wider than 28mm. I have an ultra wide for when I do. That's just me. But really-- 24-28 isn't that much difference. But the 17-55 would leave me wanting more on the long end.

Thanks for your help everyone! I can't really respond to everyone, but I read all of your replies. I think I'm going to settle with:

- Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Lens

- I'm also going to sell some of my lenses that I don't use.

Should watch tony northrup's 24-105 comparison video.

Thanks for your help everyone! I can't really respond to everyone, but I read all of your replies. I think I'm going to settle with:

- Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Lens

- I'm also going to sell some of my lenses that I don't use.

sound like a plan

Most reactions

Back