I need help with lighting equipment Please help

blythe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My order got canceled from amazon. The new price is 269 sigh....

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Interfit-Photographic-Continuous-SXT3200-Umbrellas/dp/B001064RTS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234833945&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Interfit Photographic Continuous Output 1000 Watt Photo Flood Light Kit, with 2 SXT3200 Heads (2x500w), with Lamps, Stands, Umbrellas, Bag, & More: Electronics[/ame]

I will be basically shooting clothes from a horizontal tripod. One of my friends told me he just uses a good flash instead of lighting equipment.
Can anyone help me and let me know which way to go is better

If the speedlight or flash is the way to go can anyone suggest one.
Please help thanks

I would say that amazon did you a favor... yes, I would say it is better using a battery powered strobe in your case.

Please feel free to do a search, this topic comes up quite often. :)

thanks for the quick response.

Which SB do you suggest? 600 800 or 900

thanks

What is your budget? You can likely get away with a single SB-600 shot through an umbrella. Shirts are small and don't move around too much... lol

Also, don't be afriad to go and read over at Strobist ... specifically lighting 101 and 102.

You're literally going to be shooting T-shirts? No models inside them? If you're doing that you can probably get away with the cheapest setup you can find (two Impact lightstands, two Impact umbrella adapters, a white/black umbrella and maybe a silver-lined umbrella if you ever decide you want to shoot people instead. All told about 130 bucks or so from BHPhoto.

so I would need two SB600's then because of the two lightstands

so I would need two SB600's then because of the two lightstands

Two lightstands and two ways to "control" the light; umbrellas. What umbrellas you need are determined by what kind of of product photography you are doing. If its just shots of shirts on a product-table, a shoot-thru umbrella should do the trick. If however you are putting them on a model, and posing it at various angles, a shoot through, and perhaps a reflective umbrella (or just a reflector) should get the job done (plus you ll be set up for if you transition to people shots).

if I am shooting horizontally with the umbrella to control the light, woudln't the umbrella be too big and long?

The distance from the tripod from the floor horizontally is only about 6 - 8 feet high.

Most reactions

Back