I need help with my Nikon D40 Please!

sunburst10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My grandson was in my studio today and pulled my Nikon D40 camera off a stool and it hit the concrete floor. I took off the lens and its fine. The camera seems fine also but the lens mounting Bayonet mount came loose. There were three small curved clip looking things that fell out. I took the screws out of the mounting lens and covered the camera body with plastic wrap to keep dust out. Does anybody know how or where these little clips go back on? I have searched the web looking for a video or picture and can't find anything. Please, I don't know what to do at this point. There is no camera store close to where I live. I think the closest is like 100 miles away. Thank you for any help.

My grandson was in my studio today and pulled my Nikon D40 camera off a stool and it hit the concrete floor. I took off the lens and its fine. The camera seems fine also but the lens mounting Bayonet mount came loose. There were three small curved clip looking things that fell out. I took the screws out of the mounting lens and covered the camera body with plastic wrap to keep dust out. Does anybody know how or where these little clips go back on? I have searched the web looking for a video or picture and can't find anything. Please, I don't know what to do at this point. There is no camera store close to where I live. I think the closest is like 100 miles away. Thank you for any help.

sunburst - I feel your pain. As the bumper sticker says, "I child-proofed my house - but they still get in"

Even though there are no camera stores nearby, you can contact Nikon directly to see what they recommend. I would start with the Nikon Service website: Nikon Service and Repair

Or, you can call Nikon USA at:
1-800-645-6687

That said, if it costs more than $200 to fix it, it might be a better idea to buy a new camera. A brand new D3100 body is only $330.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If they are little bright springy-looking things, they fit in right behind the three lugs on the body.

Nikon will not give you a quote without examining the camera, so just sweep all the parts and ship it off to Nikon. There are two, and you will want the New York one. They will give you a quote whereupon you can either get it fixed or buy another one. Sorry.

Thanks Bill..I will check that out when I get home. I was also thinking that it might be just as easy to buy a new body. The sad thing is this looks like it would be so simple to fix if I just knew where those little clips hooked into. Thank again

sunburst10; gee, maybe you shouldn't have blocked my posts, or you would have read where they go.

I guess you won't be seeing this one either.

Ah, well...

$clips 2.JPGDesigner...have no idea what your talking about. I got both your posts I just joined this group and I don't even know how to block a post. I took a picture of the 3 little metal clips...I will post them once I figuare out how to do that, maybe someone has seen them before. If not, I did find a Nikon repair store 153 miles away and it might be cheaper to drive and get it fixed than to send it off.

Last edited:
Oh, O.K., go ahead and replace the ring, and look at the three lugs for the lens mount. You should see three rectangular openings that are just behind the lugs. The little springs should be able to be replaced by carefully sliding them back into the rectangular openings (one each in the openings). They should just be flush with the tops of the openings.

It will be nearly impossible to replace the springs with the ring off, so put that back on first.

The "bow" of the springs goes toward the back of the camera, the ends then being toward the front of the camera.

I apologize for the snotty remark. Some people block some posters that they simply don't want to read anymore.

Designer, thank you soooo much! My husband and I got the springs back in and it works perfect. I am so glad I didn't have to send my camera off because I know it takes forever to get them back and that would leave me with just one camera to do all my work with. Thanks again! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back