I need ideas to get started taking photos professionally?

2. Be careful about rushing into being a "pro". I've been shooting for years now, always with that goal in mind and doing weekly photoshoots, and I still don't consider myself quite there. I don't think I ever will, it's a growth process that never stops. Being a professional simply means that you make enough to live off of, and to even charge any decent amount for honest work, you've got to be a damn good photographer. There is no certificate you get in the mail one day that says "Professional Photographer" on it.

This. I've had my first DSLR for about 8 months and love it. Have I thought about how wonderful it could be if in 5 years I can quit my day job and make photography a main source of income? Absolutely. But I have seen so many people rush into it, charge $250 for a family session, and get no where. Just this month I've started shooting for people that aren't close friends or family.... 1-2 "sessions" each weekend, most families or children. I am still doing it for FREE. Because honestly, there is still a chance I miss focus. Or I get home and notice some distracting shadows I didn't notice while shooting. Or a pose is a little unnatural. Maybe by the end of summer I'll be confident enough to charge $50 for my time. Maybe not. If anything, take it slow.

And how many full time professionals do you know that actually use the PPA? I've yet to meet a single one in person. Also it's more a membership, versus what I was speaking to which was a magical "certificate of completion" which shows up on your doorstep when you reach an adequate skill level.
Actually I know a half dozen or so at least. It's not for the enthusiast professional, but rather for the full time - always striving to learn and improve professional. Learn to improve their photographic skills as well as their business skills. It's not something that you pay your money to and get a certificate. You have to pass a written exam as well as submit a portfolio. Some of the photos must be taken to a set of standards to demonstrate your competence, the rest are of your professional work. Submitting a portfolio does not mean you will be certified. They actually have defined standards that have to be met to be certified.

Last edited:
do not chase what you feel will pay well.
choose what you really enjoy photographing...and then get good enough that someone will pay you.

I think what I am going to purchase first is some Canon Telephoto zoom lens. Later when I get another better camera I can just use the same lenses. Me and my brother both are into this. My brother is more into film and is going to school for it. I think this is going to be a lot of fun.

Don't waste your money use what you have already and learn how to use it well

+1. My first and only DSLR is a Canon XSI with a kit lens (that I bought new how many years ago). While I recognize that I need to upgrade, I don't want to upgrade until I know full well how to use the equipment that I have. Then, and only then, will I upgrade.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back