I need some help with my bald eagle

Now we see more detail in the background, but now it starts to become a distraction. I think the balance may be better in this one.

Your second shot just...just wow!

On the most recent shot I think the background is just out of focus enough to not be distracting, but showing the bird in it's natural environment. The first shot posted with the blown out background looked too artificial to me.

Yes! The last one is very nice.

One of the things I have learned is that when you are shooting dark subjects like this bird against a lighter background as you have here is that the use of +1 to +1 1/3 stops of exposure compensation (EC) will help bring out the detail in the darker bird's feathers. In this case, because there is so much contrast difference between the bird and the background, then I might even try as high as +2 on the exposure compensation scale just to see what it gives me - doesn't cost you anything except some time.. Having said this, then my question is whether or not you tried this (EC) on these shots? I am assuming that you can set EC on your camera, because as BillM has said that if you don't get the detail in the shadows, then there really isn't any way to recover it in post.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back