I need some help with this! :(

JJP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm starting to make a habit out of asking you guys which camera to get, but now i've narrowed it down to two, the Canon 400D, or the Canon 30D, I love Canon cameras quite a bit, and I just prefer the feel and controls of them to most other cameras I have tried.

I will be using this camera for such things like live gigs, sports, and other stuff involving quick shutter speeds, but also most other bits and bobs, portrait shots, landscapes, the works.

I realise there is a noticable price difference with these two cameras, but I was wondering if any of the features on the 30D would particularly stand out when compared to the 400D, also I don't actually know anyone with a 400D, so if anybody owns one or has tried one out, please do give me some advice.

Any input/help is gladly appreciated, and if you have any questions, please shoot away. Thanks in advance. :D

Go to DP Review, and pull up a side-by-side comparison of the two. Understand the differences, then try to understand how they might make a difference to you.

Never mind, I did it for you:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos400d%2Ccanon_eos30d&show=all

The most important difference is the ability to mount good lenses on the camera. I believe both cameras take EF lenses, as well as EF-S lenses. My understanding is that the latter work only with the digital sensors that are APS-C sized (with that 1.6 crop factor), and and they are not the highest quality lenses. So either way, make sure to buy only EF lenses. You will keep them for a lot longer than the camera body.

I guess if you're shooting sports, etc. then think about frames per second. I dunno, there might be other features, but a first glance of the comparison doesn't reveal a big difference. In your shoes I'd consider the Rebel, it's just less expensive. The Rebel has more pixels, but that says nothing about the quality of a the sensor.

heya~

i think a difference would be that the 30D has a jogdial.

Thanks for the response guys, I know it's a lot to be forking out an extra £300, but the spot metering on the 30D would really help, also the ability to use 3200ISO as i'll be working in dark conditions mostly, also I can't stand cheap plastic feeling cameras, i'm not saying the 400D has, but i've looked at all those reviews and some people say it really bothers them, I don't really want to risk it.

Thanks again for your responses, they've helped me decide that I think i'll go for the 30D. :)

Go into a store and hold them both...then you will really know if the 400D is too small and plastic for you.

IMO...the 400D is actually better in many ways, than the 30D. The technology is just moving so fast...that the lower model has surpassed the mid-level DSLR.

I have a 20D, and the thumb wheel on the back is really great. However, if I were to buy a DSLR today...the lower price of the 400D and all the features would make it an easy choice. Put the savings toward a better lens.

Most reactions

Back