i need some new reflectors

notelliot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i know, i know. we all hate these threads. i'll make it quick and cheap.

i need some "real" reflectors that have more surface area that what i'm using now. what i have now are 4 white foam panels roughly 18x30". they work okay, but are weird to work with. i'm going to paint them black and use them as flags in the near future..

so, what i need to do is light 1-4 people with a 1-4 light setup using either softboxes or umbrellas. most of my lights will be placed to light elements of the background or general surroundings, with one or two lights on the subject(s) and reflectors doing most of the subject lighting.

if the reflectors are doing most of the lighting, they'll have to be fair size. but! i have to location shoot with them, so i need them to fold up or break down. ideally, a frame-panel reflector say, 42x72, that easily breaks down into a duffel bag.
Westcott Scrim Jims look kind of neat, but i get the impression they're more of a diffusion panel; if i could get a diffusion panel and a reflector panel, it would be immensely versatile.

budget is starting at ~200, but i've never adhered to a budget before, so i'll spend what i have to to get a solid product.

i realize i could search B&H, but personal input is a little more insightful. if any of you kind folks could help out, i'd appreciate it!

The Lastolite collapsible reflectors are fantastic. I've got a 38" and a 52". The 38 is silver/gold and the 52 is silver/white. I love them to death.

they're oval-shaped, though, aren't they?

i guess the one thing i left out is that i prefer rectangular catchlights. so i don't know how i feel about collapsibles.
frame-panel reflectors are (usually) rectangular, and though they take up more space, i think i would get better results.

i think i answered my own query.. aside from which brand i should whore myself for.

thanks alpha.

ps- did you happen to check out the Scrim Jims? i was just curious as to what you thought of them.

Checked ebay? I got what is probably a 52" (I'm a metric man) silver gold white black and translucent 5-1 thingy.

Cost less than $25

what kind of material quality are they? i find myself to be pretty rough on things. not careless, but you know. gritty.

Westcott's Scrim Jim has diffusion panels and reflector panels of all colors. Given their size they are perfect for environmental portraits. Don't get me wrong the small foldable reflectors are nice. But if you are already considering a Scrim Jim you will find nothing better.

I am not sure about their quality because I have nothing to compare them to. I can say they do work, and mine is about 1 year old, no signs of wear and tear.

But for the cost I can justify breaking a few of them, it just hasn't happened yet.

I like scrim jims, but there's no doubt that collapsible is the way to go if you're doing location work and need portability.

Lastolite makes collapsibles in several shapes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back