I need some outside feedback

suki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My husband and I contracted with a roofing company last month. During the initial interview/consult/whatever it's called, the guy asked what we got from the insurance (this amount was based on other quotes, not theirs). We told him the amount and he said that they can replace our roof for that amount and any extra they would go after the insurance for. Because of this, they wouldn't put a price on the contract. Fine, whatever. Dumb move.

The entire process was such a pain from the very beginning. First, they call us out of no where to say "we're at your house and can start working on the roof." We thought that was odd, because usually from what we've seen other companies do, they do a material drop first, collect that portion of the payment, THEN they schedule a day to start. Since they were already there, we said just go ahead and start, we weren't home. I got home an hour later, and they worked on the roof from about noon-430ish, left, came back the next morning (friday) for about an hour then left again and didn't return until the following wednesday! During this time, we called the sales guy and the main number numerous times to find out if their crew was coming back. We had snow coming in and half of our roof was unfinished and exposed. We never received a call back, until that wednesday, which at that point we had already filed a complaint with the BBB.

When they came out Weds, they were only there for about an hour then had to leave again. In all, what should have taken 2 days to finish our roof, it took over a week. Everytime we called this company we were told someone would call us back, never did, most times no one answered phones and no one responded to messages when we were able to leave them.

So the other day, after two city inspections passed the roof, my husband talks to one of the supervisors about the final payment. He tells him its XYZ for the roof and that when the sales rep comes by to pick up the check he'll have the final invoice. Well the sales rep shows up, no invoice. AFter everything we went through with them, I told him I'm not writing a check until I get an invoice, something, stating that we have paid in full. He promises (more promises) to fax the invoice the following day (it was already 630pm) and can give us a hand written invoice until then, stating that we're paid in full. Like an idiot, I accepted that and gave them one last benefit of the doubt.

We get the invoice and on there it states that they charged us for insulation, which they did, however on our contract that we signed on day one, the insulation package was marked free and added at no additional cost. So now, we already gave them a check for 1500 more than what we should have paid! THAT'S MY NEW 50D DAMNIT! lol

I put a stop payment on the check and am going to call them tomorrow and tell them that I will mail them a check LESS the 1500 along with a copy of that invoice and our contract, which states the insulation package was included free.

What I'm wondering now, and I've read the contract details on the back, is if this can somehow come back and bite me in the ass? I don't see anywhere anythign stating that pricing is subject to change upon their discretion, but I wouldn't think that a company can legally say it's free, blow the insulation and then charge us for it, even if it did say that the terms could be changed at any time.

thoughts? thanks for reading.

Kristina

Sounds like a cowboy setup to me, they are certainly very unprofessional and you were right to cancel the cheque. I would say the best advice is to get in contact with a lawyer regarding the contract (I belive you can get free consultations with many for a sort period of time so take all the contact details and forms with you).
I say this because often any cowboy setup will have their own ways of pressuring you into paying whatever they want and they might even threaten you with legal action of their own (or as in many cases they will send a harsh letter hoping you will give in). So you need some proper legal advice of your own to know you exact rights (because you can bet they know theirs and yours inside out).

Also I would waste no time in contacting Trading Standards (that is the UK company that deals with these sorts of problem and I'm sure the US has its own body setup to deal with these matters) and informing them as well as trying to find out as much as you can. Infact this might be the better first route before the lawyer as they might have info on your rights as well as be building a case against the roofing company.

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through such a harrowing experience! I always get mad when I hear stories of bad contractors.

No pricing on the contract works both ways...it will certainly weaken their position if they try to take you to court. I think that most judges hearing your story will be sympathetic to you. That fact that you have paper work indicating that something was supposed to be free, and then they charged you, is definitely good! A company can say "terms can be changed at any time" but that doesn't mean a judge will agree with them or that it is legally defensible.

This company strikes me as more disorganized and unprofessional than anything else. Normally contractors want to finish jobs quickly so they can get paid, the fact that they lagged (and they wouldn't return calls) shows their inability to get things done. Also, a lot of contract work goes by word of mouth, so their horrible service seems to indicate they just don't care.

My guess is that they won't be organized enough to actually put together a lawsuit, which is an expensive, risky process even for an organized business...good luck!

Most reactions

Back