I Need to be More Proactive.. Tips on Making Money?

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, here's the deal. I never began photography to make money. It's a hobby, always has been and always will be. That being said, I've reached the point where all the gear I want is getting expensive. It's hard to justify thousands a year for gear when I don't make money on it, and am a grad student. That being said, I'd like to try and be more proactive about it. I'd like to try and make enough to cover some new gear each year. Here's my thoughts:

-Go to local places and see if they'll hang my work. Coffeeshops. Bakeries. In coastal towns, where I have photos from that town. Offer a percent of profits if I sell, etc. Cost? Print& frame, and the time energy and effort to go to all these places.

-Enter myself in local art fairs, farmer markets, etc. Show up with framed/matted works for sale, etc. Cost? A lot of overhead on this one. Need a mat cutter, mat board, prints, plastic sleeves, entrance/fees, etc. Could get really pricey for little to no return. Big gamble.

-Be more active on my website. Posting blog articles about photo tips. How to's. Behind the scenes. Being more active with content and info, rather than trying to get people to my site with "I have prints for sale!" posts. Cost? Time.

-Piggybacking on the above, sending out monthly email newsletters with info on new images, blog posts, etc. Cost? Time.

-Go to local photo clubs and sell myself. I've given a talk on landscape/long exposures, and would love to further that. Cost? Time. Big benefit here--I'll make money AND establish myself as a landscape photographer, which is my ultimate goal. Also be able to meet/network, and get people to my workshops next year.

-Host workshops. I have an in with a local photo shop--and I've had people interested in post processing workshops, and more photo workshops. Cost? Time and effort. This ones tricky, as I'm so busy with school. However, this is also my favorite way to make money. I love to teach others about what I do and how to do it.

-Edit | Enter photo contests. It's a great way to gain recognition and add credentials to my portfolio. Cost? Depends on the contest.

I know it's a long post, but that's where I'm at. I don't care about being rich from photography. I am currently on a scholarship of sorts for graduate school, and will have a career as an oceanographer. I just want to make enough to support my addiction. Maybe make enough to travel for landscapes.

What insights do YOU have. What have you learned about the above? Do some things work better than others?

Cheers!
Jake

Last edited:
Or you could stop spending money on new gear, learn to make do with what you have and not waste time on distorting your interests just to make money.

Or you could stop spending money on new gear, learn to make do with what you have and not waste time on distorting your interests just to make money.

True. But I'm a gear junkie. I love new gear, almost as much as I love photography. Filters, lenses, everything. I love getting higher and higher quality gear, as that leads to higher quality products. OR, what if I made a few extra dollars to buy gifts for my family? Go on a vacation with my GF? I'm good, good enough to make money. So why don't I try?

Jake

Ever consider just charging more?

Doesn't make sense to me. If nobody buys a $135 20x30" print, why would they buy one for $200? I make enough per print percentage wise, I just don't sell any. I make good monies from workshops (well, good IMO). The last one grossed 500, netted closer to 425 for 6 hours of work. Worth it to me. Just need to explore and be more active. I need to establish myself more than I currently have. There's few to nobody who does the kind of landscapes I do and teaches about it in this area. I need to capitalize on that.

Jake

I'm good, good enough to make money. So why don't I try?
Be aware that your attitude may change when you are "in it for the money".

I think the most successful professional photographers have retained a love of photography and making art, and are happy to do so, knowing subconsiously that the money will follow.

I'm good, good enough to make money. So why don't I try?
Be aware that your attitude may change when you are "in it for the money".

I think the most successful professional photographers have retained a love of photography and making art, and are happy to do so, knowing subconsiously that the money will follow.

Yes, I do know that. I'll never be in it for the money, that's why I'm in graduate school for something entirely unrelated. My academic passion is science, specifically studying how ocean acidification effects nearshore fish. A topic I want to study for the rest of my life.

Photography is a hobby and a passion. I never want it or need it to supplement my full income. I just want it to be self-sustaining.

Jake

Here's my thoughts:
In your list of possibilities, I didn't see "learn from other photographers".

How did other landscape photographers get started?

Then there is the whole marketing aspect: Learn why people buy photographs. Yes, your landscapes are good, but they don't mean anything to me, so I would not buy one. Have you asked your customers why they like a picture well enough to part with some serious cash to own it?

Also; your website needs updating. Get rid of the "student work" header, especially since there is nothing in it anyway, and nobody wants to buy a student work. (IMO)

I just finished reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/Profitable-Ph...ywords=profitable+business+on+the+digital+age

Couldn't hurt.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here's my thoughts:
In your list of possibilities, I didn't see "learn from other photographers".

How did other landscape photographers get started?

Then there is the whole marketing aspect: Learn why people buy photographs. Yes, your landscapes are good, but they don't mean anything to me, so I would not buy one. Have you asked your customers why they like a picture well enough to part with some serious cash to own it?

Also; your website needs updating. Get rid of the "student work" header, especially since there is nothing in it anyway, and nobody wants to buy a student work. (IMO)

I just finished reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/Profitable-Ph...ywords=profitable+business+on+the+digital+age

Couldn't hurt.

No, couldn't hurt. I'll pick up a copy.

The student work link was meant to be for students from my workshops to have their images on my site. Showing what kinds of things I can teach, etc. I'll hide it for now.

Learn from other photographers is something I didn't add but should have. There's plenty of local photographers who I do and can chat with.

Cheers!
Jake

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

True. But I'm a gear junkie. I love new gear, almost as much as I love photography. Filters, lenses, everything. I love getting higher and higher quality gear, as that leads to higher quality products. OR, what if I made a few extra dollars to buy gifts for my family? Go on a vacation with my GF? I'm good, good enough to make money. So why don't I try?

Jake
With all this high end gear does your photo quality go up at the same rate ? I very much doubt it

Jake
With all this high end gear does your photo quality go up at the same rate ? I very much doubt it

The sharpness differences between a $200 lens and a $1000 lens is significant. I own some $200 gear, and I want the $1000 gear. Yes, it would make a difference.

Jake

Jake

The sharpness differences between a $200 lens and a $1000 lens is significant. I own some $200 gear, and I want the $1000 gear. Yes, it would make a difference.

Jake
Ive had most of the pro Canon lenses eg. 300f2.8L 70-200f2.8L and so on and sold them all they are not that much sharper just made stronger for pro use, some of my Voigtlander lenses are sharper, also when people look at a print they would never know if it was taken with a $10 lens or a $1000 lens

Doesn't make sense to me. If nobody buys a $135 20x30" print, why would they buy one for $200? I make enough per print percentage wise, I just don't sell any. I make good monies from workshops (well, good IMO). The last one grossed 500, netted closer to 425 for 6 hours of work. Worth it to me. Just need to explore and be more active. I need to establish myself more than I currently have. There's few to nobody who does the kind of landscapes I do and teaches about it in this area. I need to capitalize on that.

Jake
Perception of value! It's an established fact that people who will not pay middle-of-the-road prices for an item will often pay very high prices for the same item if it's presented properly because they perceive it to be of greater value. FWIW, $135 seems very inexpensive for a 20x30.

Doesn't make sense to me. If nobody buys a $135 20x30" print, why would they buy one for $200? I make enough per print percentage wise, I just don't sell any. I make good monies from workshops (well, good IMO). The last one grossed 500, netted closer to 425 for 6 hours of work. Worth it to me. Just need to explore and be more active. I need to establish myself more than I currently have.

Jake

How does Macy's compete with Walmart? They dont.You don't understand how to market youself. If you target market is solely interested in price, you will fail. There will always be someone with a lower price.

Far too many start-ups fail to understand that working does not equate to making money. Yes, as an employee you do. But that attitude fails when you're on the other side of the desk.

But if you market youself correctly, and more importantly to the market segment that comprehends quality above price , you're going to succeed. As a self-employed electrician I routinely get jobs despite the fact that my price is twice the 'going rate '.

If your business model is to be Walmart Photography, you've entered the race to the bottom. A race you will surely win. Turning your craft into a commodity is never a profitable venture.

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense to me.
That is a very common attitude that causes photographers to leave a boatload of money on the table.
It's not supposed to make sense to you. It's supposed to make sense to the people that can afford to pay a higher price.

If nobody buys a $135 20x30" print, why would they buy one for $200?
Jake
Like John points out 'a perception of value' has to be created.
There is a way to 'create a sense of value' - salesmanship.
Ken's (480sparky) remarks are right on too.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back