I need your advice!

pro11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for some advice in the web about DSLR cameras I ran into this forums and taking a look around I see that your guys have lots of experience and are very friendly. I have some questions that I will like to have your opinion. if possible!
First off, I am completetly new to this DSLR world and know NOTHING about it. I have a five month old baby and would like to take my own pictures of her that look a bit more professional than my regular Digital Cam. Also my brother is getting married next year around this date and I would like to photograph his wedding, so that he can save a little money on that area.
I can only spend around $600 for a DSLR, So with that price range in mind and what I want to photograph, I would like to see what you guys recommend me (brand and model, lense)?

Thanks in advance!!!!

First off welcome to the board. As far as cameras in that range you should be able to find lots of them. You may want to consider buying a used body as you may be able get a little better model that way. I would look at getting a 50mm prime lens as well as this is a great little low light lens.

As far as saving your brother some money on photography at his wedding you are going to have to learn a heck of a lot in a year as well make some major investments in equipment. I am not saying it cant be done but it is going to be really difficult to say the least.

As far as brand goes I would probably look at Nikon or Canon. I have a Sony as it was a gift and love it but you will find more options and better prices in those two brands for sure.

First off welcome to the board. As far as cameras in that range you should be able to find lots of them. You may want to consider buying a used body as you may be able get a little better model that way. I would look at getting a 50mm prime lens as well as this is a great little low light lens.

As far as saving your brother some money on photography at his wedding you are going to have to learn a heck of a lot in a year as well make some major investments in equipment. I am not saying it cant be done but it is going to be really difficult to say the least.

As far as brand goes I would probably look at Nikon or Canon. I have a Sony as it was a gift and love it but you will find more options and better prices in those two brands for sure.

Thanks for your fast response!
I know I will have to learn alot to save my brother some money, but is it really that hard? And also what kind of equipment are you talking about?

Weddings are a touchy subject. There seems to be a misconception that a piece of equipment - be it entry-level or pro - can take good pictures by itself. Although digital SLRs give the photographer a lot of control, it will still take skill and experience to get the shot. Weddings in particular are harder than many people think. The posed family shots are one thing (feel free to do those) but the ceremony happens once, and if you fumble or miss a shot, you don't get a second chance...

Every DSLR comes with a kit lens, start with those. The manufacturers are pretty astute at understanding what the average photgrapher wants. It is a highly competitive field, so any of the known brands will give you impressive performance. The names you can trust are Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony... and that's only an alphabetical order. There will be fanboys for any of these brands, but they all do the trick, and they are all systems that can all grow with you.

I don't know much about entry level gear though. I gather Pentax and Sony have the most to prove right now, so they provide the most value.

Weddings are a touchy subject. There seems to be a misconception that a piece of equipment - be it entry-level or pro - can take good pictures by itself. Although digital SLRs give the photographer a lot of control, it will still take skill and experience to get the shot. Weddings in particular are harder than many people think. The posed family shots are one thing (feel free to do those) but the ceremony happens once, and if you fumble or miss a shot, you don't get a second chance...

Every DSLR comes with a kit lens, start with those. The manufacturers are pretty astute at understanding what the average photgrapher wants. It is a highly competitive field, so any of the known brands will give you impressive performance. The names you can trust are Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony... and that's only an alphabetical order. There will be fanboys for any of these brands, but they all do the trick, and they are all systems that can all grow with you.

I don't know much about entry level gear though. I gather Pentax and Sony have the most to prove right now, so they provide the most value.

You are totally right about the ceremony it only happens once!!! Thanks alot for your advice.
I think I am more in between Cannon and Nikkon, after reading much I just feel like theres more support for those two brands!

For a begginer, do you think Im better off buying brand new or second hand?

There a few ways to look at buying used gear. First, keep doing your research to get a short list and download the user manual for perusal. Then go to a local camera shop and put cameras in your hands to get an idea how they feel and test drive the menu navigation.

If you can find a companion that has a reasonable knowledge of dSLRs then check out craigslist or such and take them with you to look at what's on offer. Probably the safer route would be to look on trusted websites like B&H, Adorama and KEH for used gear.

You're likely to get a higher end body, but older technology, by buying used. Nothing wrong with that.

For a begginer, do you think Im better off buying brand new or second hand?

For what you want to shoot look at the options in your price range. If you buy new you will get a body and kit lens in the entry level. If you buy body and lens separate you may be able to get better equipment. Just make sure you buy from a reputable source and you shouldnt have any issues.

2756B001 Canon Digital Rebel Xsi Black W/accs.

2514A002 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens - Gray Market

Just a little over your price that you want to spend.

For what you want to shoot look at the options in your price range. If you buy new you will get a body and kit lens in the entry level. If you buy body and lens separate you may be able to get better equipment. Just make sure you buy from a reputable source and you shouldnt have any issues.

2756B001 Canon Digital Rebel Xsi Black W/accs.

2514A002 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens - Gray Market

Just a little over your price that you want to spend.

Mgw, tell me whats the difference between the one you posted up there and this one in the link? I mean the lens Im sure its the same camera

Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with Lens - Black - Rebel XSi

Tell your brother to hire a good photographer. Weddings should really be done by someone who has been in the business for years. The stakes are high; I wouldn't trust myself or any of my amateur friends to photograph any weddings. The photographer at my wedding was phenomenal -- she had forgotten more about photography than I will probably ever learn -- and I really do not recommend cutting corners in this category.

Mgw, tell me whats the difference between the one you posted up there and this one in the link? I mean the lens Im sure its the same camera

Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with Lens - Black - Rebel XSi

I don't mean to speak for Mgw, but:

1. The one he posted was used.
2. The one he posted did not come with a lens (although he also recommended a very good lens -- the 50mm 1.8).
3. The one he posted was $275 cheaper at Adorama.

Other than that, it's the same camera. I believe the reason he's suggesting used, and with the "nifty fifty," is to keep the whole package under $600.

You could also go with the same camera refurbished (with kit lens) for $549: 2756B015AA Canon Digital Rebel XSi SLR Camera Body Kit - Black - with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Image Stabilizer Lens - Refurbished. If you can squeeze the budget a little, adding the 50mm 1.8 for $85 is a good idea (so that you can take better pictures indoors).

Or, if the budget will stretch a little more, the same camera can be had new for $699 with kit lens for:
2756B003 Canon Digital Rebel XSi SLR Camera Body Kit, 12.2 Megapixels, Black with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Image Stabilizer Lens

There are quite a few good options for under $600 -- I'd recommend going to Adorama or B&H and just sorting by price, and seeing what you get. Just looking around Adorama's site, it looks like they have everything from what appear to be brand new Canon 20D's (who knew there still were any?) to refurbished Nikon D70's -- there are lots of options.

But, seriously, please don't plan to be able to shoot your brother's wedding unless you plan to get into photography in a major way -- weddings take a lot of skill, planning, hard work, and expensive equipment. And if you get it wrong...it can't be fixed. ;)

Amazon has the (amazing) Nikon D40 with the (amazing) kit 18-55mm VR lens for about $400 right now ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000KJQ1DG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235363241&sr=8-1]see here[/ame] -- not a referrer link, just a direct link). I highly recommend it. Easy to use, great image quality, and most important -- very light. You won't mind taking it with you.

Also, yes -- definitely encourage your brother to hire a professional wedding photographer. Nothing against you, but you will still be learning the ins and outs of your new camera, and won't have fancy lighting equipment nor the experience to use it.

I have to agree with everyone here. I have done a lot of photography over the years, way back when getting paid for my work (portraits, sports, some news) and the only way I would even consider doing a wedding is if were a good friend who wasn't going to have a photographer at all and I just did it because I wanted to. Not only do I not have the experience, but I no longer have the glass for it.

Allan

I hate my wedding pictures and they are from a "wedding photographer" an actual professional with portfolios and everything. I kick myself all the time that I didn't "shop" more. I will never have that day back and the pictures are the only evidence that I spent so much friggin money on that day and they don't capture the mood at all IMO. Don't do this to your brother. Tell him to skimp elsewhere and invest in GOOD pictures. Not that you won't be a good photographer someday, but it took me two years before I could confidently take my camera off of the auto mode. It is a LOT more difficult than you can imagine to get "great" pictures and your brother and his bride will want "GREAT" pictures...take it from me.

-Bitter Bride :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back