I only "work" part-time

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukeboy1977

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided a little while ago to "work" part-time to make extra money between my job, girlfriend, puppies, and our soon-to-be born baby boy. I don't get alot of time right now but maybe some day it may change. Anyhoo, here is an example of my 1st paid photoshoot at their home since they didn't want to go to a studio. They already "booked me" for another full day also!

famsepia.jpg

May want to consider a fill flash. I find the facial shadows distracting. For what you're doing. light-weight speed lights I would think would fit in.

Check out The Strobist Blog

May want to consider a fill flash. I find the facial shadows distracting. For what you're doing. light-weight speed lights I would think would fit in.

Check out The Strobist Blog

Well, I spent no time "touching up" their photos, nor do I like to do that, and they were ecstatic with our results. They got me to set aside another full day to "shoot" them AND their family members. I see what you're saying and I have a SB600 on its way to me, but I'm just getting started in doing this and already have fully satisfied customers...and since THEIR happiness is all that matters I'm ok with it. Thanks for your suggestion though!

Here is another one of our pics I took that day. Their backyard was kinda shady with the trees where I wanted to photograph them, but they loved their pics so I'm satisfied with it. I "edited" nothing in their photos because I'd rather not do that.

DSC_0571.jpg

Congrats on your 1st paid job. Not sure if you wanted Comments or Crit, but you are going to get it anyways :biggrin:

The Good:
I do like their happy faces. I like how it is a relaxed family portrait. They don't look like a fussy family and I think you captured that well.And they must have had a good experience to ask you back. Good Luck.
The Bad:
Not a fan of sepia with children. Seems like an oxymoron.... aged youth?
Mom is not in focus.
Harsh shadows overwhelm the photo. A bit of fill might help.
Watch out for the toe cutting monster.
The Ugly:
Remember the big picture..... I would have removed the lawn lantern. Blurred the background or changed locations because that fence cross beam going through their heads is weird.

Yea you definitely need some fill flash, some editing and a scene change. While these people may be happy, I can guarantee a lot of people wouldn't be. The shadows on their faces are way too harsh (fill flash). Her eyes are light up and sparkling and his are completely in shadow. And the background is not flattering (windows of the house next door). These could have been taken with a point and shoot. You should try and steer away from your fear of editing. When done correctly it enhances the photo. You could simply brighten it up, sharpen it and crop it to make it better and you wouldn't have changed the subjects at all.

I dont mean to sound completely harsh, but it's the only way to learn. We are all still learning. The great thing is that being that the clients already love the photos you have given them, you can use them to 'practice'. Since your photos can only get better, they will just be happier and happier, and you can then move on to other clients. Try getting a Speedlight attachable camera flash, that will help a lot.

Here is what your picture can look like with some simple PP adjusts. I use Paintshop Pro Photo Editor X2.

"What's the difference?" Look at the pants seams, the pockets, shirt edges.

In the order I did the task.

Unsharpen Mask
Radius 3, Strength 149, Clipping 31

Highlight/Shadow/Midtone
22/10/-59

Red/Green/Blue
2/7/8

Unsharpen Mask
Radius 3, Strength 47, Clipping 24

DSC_0571.jpg

I bought my D90 thinking the camera would be doing more of the work for me.

I am finding out with the dSLR's, you MUST do some Post-processing work or you won't have the best picture. Yeah, they work and all, but it's only the foundation.

Kind of like sending your old film pictures to Walmart vs a professional film lab.

I am starting to take film pictures again, and I take it to a lab in town that is done by an old film photographer. I have also taken similar pictures to walmart. There is a difference.

Same thing with digital pictures.

As has been said editing is a key part of getting good photos - here is a website with some very good and easy to understand editing articles:
Ron Bigelow Articles
farmerj - I agree with your edit to brighten the darker section though I would encourage the use of a layermask - since now you have blown out bright points on the shot - again not a desirable feature.

Also since strobist has been mentioned I will encourage you to read it. A little idea ( and a bit cheaper than a flash) would be to look into reflectors - inthe two shots you have above a reflector on the left hand side would give you a bit more lighting on those shadowed areas - you can even use a reflector set to diffuser to block out some of the harsher lighting from the sun - go for the 5 in one reflectors since they give you far more for your money.

Overread. I would whole-heartedly agree with you.

I have more to learn on PSP I feel than I do with taking pictures.

Rainy days like today, I sit and read whatever I can on how to do different techniques in Paintshop.

Damn, there's a LOT to learn.

You don't need fill flash, you don't need to touch up if you don't want too, but what you do need is some shade. Get them under something so the source of light, instead of being the super hard sun, would be the soft available light reflecting off of everything.

In the middle of the sun is one of the worst places you can shoot portraits if you can help it.

Here is another one of our pics I took that day. Their backyard was kinda shady with the trees where I wanted to photograph them, but they loved their pics so I'm satisfied with it. I "edited" nothing in their photos because I'd rather not do that.

DSC_0571.jpg
I did a quick edit, about a minutes worth. The poses are good.
Bad time of day to be shooting outdoor portraits. There's a reason pro's usually set up lights and reflectors even when the shoot outside. At Wal-Mart you can get some white foamboard to use as a reflector(s) to get some fill.
The shadows are way to harsh.
The client isn't expected to know better, but the photographer is. If these images satisfy you, so be it.
Virtually all DSLR images require some editing because the filters in front of the image sensor soften the focus. You're correct that it's best to get it right in the camera and minimize what has to be done post process.
DSC_0571.jpg

Thanks for the critique and good suggestions thus far. I'm aware I'm almost brand new at this and am going to make mistakes, but as noted, the more jobs I do the better I'm going to get! I'm going to be on a better look-out for certain possible probs in my pics...But as far as we were all concerned, that was the best possible place to have taken their pics. Like I said, it WAS a little over-shaded and more light would have been better, but in MY mind it was the best place in their yard to take some pics at. I do have a SB600 WITH diffuser on its way to me, like I said before, for these harder pictures due to shade. I'm even going to have my flash by the time my mothers' wedding happens so it will definitely help then! I will learn all the "tricks" of this trade someday, BUT I have learned that no matter what you learn or what you know, you will never please everyone and somebody will always have negatives to say about your work...So I will take your advice I get here but I will not take it too hard that I stress over it. I understand a true photographer will be able to see things the average person won't, and I'm learning about what not to do thanks to you guys, so thank you for all I'm learning now! My future photos will be better but I feel I'm off to a decent start as I get told very often that people just love my photos.

Thanks for the critique and good suggestions thus far. I'm aware I'm almost brand new at this and am going to make mistakes, but as noted, the more jobs I do the better I'm going to get!...

Like I said, it WAS a little over-shaded and more light would have been better, but in MY mind it was the best place in their yard to take some pics at...

I'm even going to have my flash by the time my mothers' wedding happens so it will definitely help then! I will learn all the "tricks" of this trade someday, BUT I have learned that no matter what you learn or what you know, you will never please everyone and somebody will always have negatives to say about your work...

True, we all get better if we take the critiques to heart :) If we think are pictures are great, then why would we try to improve?

The shade should have HELPED. I love when it is overcast or in a shaded area. Easiest shooting ever :) I'm just now starting to venture out into the light more, and still not if the sun is straight up overhead.

I hope your Mom's wedding is a very simple causual one and that she expects little. Weddings are quite hard. I just did my first tag-along yesterday and it was a lot of work!

Good luck with your new flash :)

I wouldn't pay you for those photos.

Thanks for the critique and good suggestions thus far. I'm aware I'm almost brand new at this and am going to make mistakes, but as noted, the more jobs I do the better I'm going to get! I'm going to be on a better look-out for certain possible probs in my pics...But as far as we were all concerned, that was the best possible place to have taken their pics. Like I said, it WAS a little over-shaded and more light would have been better, but in MY mind it was the best place in their yard to take some pics at. I do have a SB600 WITH diffuser on its way to me, like I said before, for these harder pictures due to shade. I'm even going to have my flash by the time my mothers' wedding happens so it will definitely help then! I will learn all the "tricks" of this trade someday, BUT I have learned that no matter what you learn or what you know, you will never please everyone and somebody will always have negatives to say about your work...So I will take your advice I get here but I will not take it too hard that I stress over it. I understand a true photographer will be able to see things the average person won't, and I'm learning about what not to do thanks to you guys, so thank you for all I'm learning now! My future photos will be better but I feel I'm off to a decent start as I get told very often that people just love my photos.

I realize that you're new to this and you want to make some extra cash or whatever, but can I recommend that you not charge people for this type of work? I'm going to be honest here because I believe that the first step to recovery is admitting that you're an alcoholic.

You should find people that you can practice on - your wife, girlfriend, kids, neighbors... anyone that's willing to get some free pictures to be your model.

These pictures are horrible. I would be ashamed to show anyone this, let alone take someones money for them.

First, there MUST have been a better location. Their basement would have been a better location than the one you've chosen - distracting background, harsh lighting...

Photography isn't about just putting people in a location that you think "looks nice" and pressing a button. Photography is about lighting. Next time, think about lighting before anything else.

If you're going to have your work floating out there, don't you want it to look the best it can? That's why you SHOULD process them. Don't be lazy and have this junk floating around the internet because you don't like processing or didn't feel like doing it. If that's the case, don't take anyone else's money.

Seriously, I don't know how much you charge them, but they could have gotten a Sears portrait that looks better than what you've shown here.

You might be pissed about what I just wrote, but don't be. Take it and push yourself to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back