i really wanna know how to do this!

Doesn't look like an HDR to me at all.

That's just a wide perspective and good composition.

That is most certainly not HDR. You just have to wait for lighting conditions like that to present themselves to you, then expose correctly. If you're shooting film, then you'd need to develop properly, and most likely print split-filter if you're using VC paper.

Light has a lot to do with that photo but it may involve a bit of a high pass filter, or the likes, in photoshop., Duplicate your background layer and switch the blend to overlay, then on the new layer apply a high pass filter (filter>other>high pass) adjust the slider and you'll see the results.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. This effect is achieved mostly in-camera simply by being there when the light is right. Dodging and burning are the only necessary tools if shooting digital.

Im going to have to disagree dodgeing and burning are not the only tools necesary when shooting digital. Levels, curves, layer blending modes, saturation/highlight, and unsharp mask are just a few tools I think many people here use.

Granted. There's absolutely no way, though, that high-pass is used in that photo, or part of the typical PP routine.

Granted. There's absolutely no way, though, that high-pass is used in that photo, or part of the typical PP routine.
I wouldn't be surprised if a high pass sharpening adjustment to it was used for contrast adjustments.

Here's the caption to the same image in colour in his deviantart gallery:

"the photograph was taken in Brussels, Belgium.

Camera: Nikon D70
Lens: Nikkor 12-24/4
Focal Length: 12mm
Filter: Hi Tech Grad ND 1.2"

Plenty of his pictures there show the results of digital post-processing, and some are captioned "some postprocesing work with curves/contrast/color."

Again I disagree a high pass filter can be very useful in postprocessing, especially when you want to increase contrast.

You're just talking about general PP now. Look at the photo. If you know what high pass filtering looks like, it should be obvious that there's none of it in that shot.

hehe recognize that shot from deviantart

Max you must not know what a highpass filter looks like when applied to a layer which is set to overlay. Give it a try, also the layer opacity does not have to be 100%. Im sorry for highjacking this thread .

Most reactions

Back