I shot a butterfly today - -

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot a butterfly today from both sides.

BF1sm.jpg

BF2sm.jpg

Last edited:
Ron, I think they are fun. Is that pollen on the underneath wing. I assume you are using the zoom again and not macro? I can't tell on my screen but it might be a bit noisey

Nice shot, but it looks noisy to me as well.

What did you pay for the stamp? And can you get an out of state license?

:):):)

You can punch up the saturation in post a bit or go with a -1/3 stop exposure comp. for more color saturation. If you want richer color that is. It works fine as is.

Did you use glue, sticky tape or a well hidden straight pin to hold it in that position so you could get both sides? :lol:

Nicely done Ron. I agree with Mike, especially with #2. I played around with it and it did make a difference. I know it's not OK to edit your photos, so I won't post it. Just thought you would like to know it's do-able.

Omama, yes zoom, pollen maybe, I did not ask. :wink: I wish I could see what folk are talking about "noise" on my screen.

For the record:
ISO 200
f 5.0
t 1/1000
first pic right off the camera, second slightly cropped.

macdsean, thanks.

Mike_E, I only have free download photo processing & not sure if they can do it.

kundalini, I chased that sucker all over a thistle patch to get pics. I guess I should change the "no" as I could benefit from seeing what can be done post photo. Please show us your adjustments.

On a gardening forum I partake in, one of the girls, an accomplished bird photographer posted some flower pictures with the extremities cropped off. I asked why she cropped them & she responded that it is art. I jokingly posted one of my culled butterfly pics with the fly exiting frame & asked if this was art. To my great surprise everybody loved it. Shows how little I know about art. :oops:

BF3sm.jpg

So you don't have to scroll up to the top of the page and down to compare,

Your original:
BF2sm-original.jpg

My edit:
BF2sm.jpg

I don't do anything complicated like layer masks, unsharp masks or stuff like that. This was just a boost in saturation, contrast, setting black and white points, added slight warming and a touch of levels. Saturation may have been overdone. Not much more I know how to do anyway, but I think it helps to pop the butterfly a little.

I don't really see the noise either. There may be some compression and I'm guessing you cropped it hard from the original image to fill the frame as you did. I'm also guessing that your original looks much better before uploading.

Art is subjective. :lol:

Well kundalini, as we would say in woodworking "you really popped the grain".

Some of the terminology you used is unfamiliar but I will learn. Thanks.

I downloaded Gimp and had infranview already. I haven't used the gimp and had not used infranview for this either so these are both quick and dirty. The point is there are several free apps out there . Just get one and play around. :)

Any way here is yours
BF2sm.jpg

and The Gimp
BF2smgimp.jpg

and infranview (not really for this just illustrating that it can be done and you can do it. ;))
BF2sminfranview.jpg

In any case, it would be better if you had used a little less exposure (either faster shutter or lower aperture number) so that the yellow is more yellow.

Last edited:
Well kundalini, as we would say in woodworking "you really popped the grain".
With that analogy, you got it smooth as a baby's bottom with 100 grit paper and I just applied the Linseed Oil. :lol: Do you use Linseed Oil up there?

Well, I'm off to catch some fireworks.

With that analogy, you got it smooth as a baby's bottom with 100 grit paper and I just applied the Linseed Oil. :lol: Do you use Linseed Oil up there?

Well, I'm off to catch some fireworks.

Yes, Boiled Linseed oil 50:50 with mineral spirits to pop the grain. I sand to 180 or 220 depending on the wood species.

Hi Ron, I went into the image drop-down to the enhance color selection and played with the gamma and contrast sliders.

Copy a jpeg 10 or 12 times -each having an individual name- and try different things. Compare what you've done so that you can recreate it and hey-ho there you go.

I would suggest that you download the Gimp though. there is a help file that you download separately and there are also tutorials you can view. Also search you-tube for tutorials.

Thanks Mike.

I am currently on no-speed dial-up but Bell is supposed to hook me up to a tower signal hi-speed on the 12th. That is about a month after signing me up. :grumpy: As it is now, it can take a minute or more for one picture on this forum to load.

I hear you. If you play with copies then you can't mess up the original and if you take notes you learn much faster.

Kind of like measuring twice and cutting once. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back