I should do the same!

elsaspet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I like to help out in the critique section, I feel it's only fair to put up one myself:

Actually I have two if you have time:

ShanBri30.jpg

ShanBri22.jpg

Sorry for the multiple.
Please feel free to edit the photo in any way you think would be beneficial. Also feel free to give me any nits, or advice you find. Tell me what you like, and what you feel can be improved on in future shoots.
Thanks for your time and advice.

They both are very nice I personally like the first one the most it is a very unique shot.

I had this same conversation with my son in law last week on the phone. I was in business for a lot of years, and shot a lot of bridal portraits but I have never been able to get one to even take a step into the grass let alone the places you guys can get them to pose. I have as much admiration for the ability to do that as i do for the photos.

One I don't really understand so I'm going to assume I'm totally out of touch and skip it.

The second one has a very nice crop and a very unusual and well done lighting scheme. The strong back light I have never seen used quite that way. The fill lighting however you did it is very well balanced.

Very nice job.. I don't have a thing to say about it other than it is a nice job all around.

These are both great. #1 is my favorit, because it's so original. The contrast between bride and rusty frame really works. Love it, love it! But why did you keep/add the green haze on the right side? I think the pic could do without it.

But again: great work!

pascal

Sorry, I like these both a lot, and I really don't have any idea what I'd change.

I love the framing (window), lighting, textures, colors, and pose in #1, and the drama, textures, and lighting of the second one. Superb job!

very nice, both of them, and i like the skewed appearance of the first one and the colours.

However, the first one seems to dreamy / soft for me.

The second one, well the transition between the brides head and the pitch black background is a bit too strong for my taste, it looks a bit like cut out and pasted into the scene, not natural. Did you blacken your black there? If you did, you overdid it IMHO.

[edit:] This softness thing is just not my personal taste, so you may ignore that comment ;)

Oh alex I like the second one a lot. Frankly, I have images of Desade's bride running for her life. It has just the right tone of stark contrasts for it. I'm serious I like the shot a lot. I can see it being a generic magazine shot, not just a bridal thing.

Something about the eyes in the first one keeps drawing me back. They somehow seem softer than the rest of the picture. Good or bad I'm not sure just stays in my mind. Also the eyes seem a little less contrasty than the rest of the image. Not sure what that means just how it looks to my old eyes.

Oh alex I like the second one a lot. Frankly, I have images of Desade's bride running for her life. It has just the right tone of stark contrasts for it. I'm serious I like the shot a lot. I can see it being a generic magazine shot, not just a bridal thing.

Maybe this fake impression which the second one gives to me (just around her head), depends on the screen I am using. I do only see it on my new screen, on the old one it looks ok.

The new screen gives the blackest black, which my old one does not.

Thats why the softness and flatness at the eyes in the first one may just be me.

Now that you mentioned ... I am afraid it is there on my new screen as well ... as if there was some fog right where her eyes are ...

Thank you guys. Yes I did some burning on the second, and I DO tend to go overboard sometimes. Because she was in a coal shaft though, I wanted to make it dirty and dramatic.....without really ruining her dress. I can see where it might be too much though. :)

Mystery, thanks for the kind words. It's weird. The first time I got a bride to do something funky, and posted it on my site, I suddenly started to attract that type of bride. They seem to want to outfunkify each other.
As for the softness in the eyes, it's the film of dirt across the window pain. These were taken in a falling down factory, and I wanted the rust and the dirt to contrast with the pure white of the bride's overall look. The green in the right corner is a bit of leaves, but I kind of liked the color pop, and left it in. I thought it would balance the blue on the other side, but I might be wrong about that.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Great things to consider the next time. I really appreciate the responses!!!!!

Glass in the window ... Duh... im am getting old and stupid that never occured to me. Always look for the simple explaination.

Now it won't bother me so much. I did take it down and bump up the contrast just in the eyes. Make a little difference not much.

The outfunk thing I believe is part of my son in laws thing to. Funny though mom still holds the checkbook. He informs me that he spends about ten minutes on a traditional look location bridal portrait, and then aobut two hours on the funk. Girls love the funk but mom pays the bill so he sells the traditional mostly. I find that humorous for some perverse reason.

I hear ya. I take some of boring but good for Mom and Grandma too. I don't sell much of it though, but it probably has more to do with me being considered a PJ shooter, although these definately fall into the editorial category.

I think our area is pretty far behind. If you want to make a living of it, and he does of course, you have to shoot for anybody who will pay you. The competition here is fierce. Nobody seems to be speacializing in anything but trying to hit all the markets by shooting 800 pictures a little of everything.

Except of course for the traditional guys like me who wouldn't dream of getting our tux wrinkled.

Most reactions

Back