I think I am losing hair over the CLP decisions

Apexed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off, this forum has taught me more in the past month than any other forum of any topic; bar none. It is truly amazing.

Anyway, I need a few opinions on my lens/flash selection for my CLP purchase next week. I have shot with an old Canon G flash camera for years and need to put my old Cybershot to the wayside in place of a DSLR. My experience is pretty limited to just messing around with a few manual settings, but as of lately I have had the chance to use my friends MKIII with a 50mm 1.4, and the 24-105L. I know my skill and wallet will not allow for a full frame so I opted for the 60D based off the size/feel in my hands compared to the Rebels.

Primarily I will be the photographer for my car club, and will shoot during both daylight, and nighttime hours of stationary cars/bikes. I am not too interested in zoom lenses past 85 or so since I will be able to walk up to my subjects. I will also be interested in dabbing in landscapes and portraits also down the road. I am on active duty in the Navy and our ship had our main photographer transferred, so I may also fit the bill for a daytime ceremony photographer. Additionally, I will be shooting short films of stationary cars for the most part, with a bit of commentary thrown in.

For $640 I can purchase the 60D body and I feel the kit 28-135 will be of little use to me from what I have read. I will need a wider frame to accommodate the cars and capture the detail of the accents, right? Once again, the long zoom up to 135 does not really appeal to me.

So after gathering that simple education, I have spent the past month deciding on which glass to pick up. The ones that have appealed to me from the start have been the Canon 15-85, and 10-22. I would like to use the 20% since I can purchase a Canon lens for practically market value. I have read good things about the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for a prime though.

What would you guys recommend? The 15-85 seems perfect, but I am worried about low light. On the other hand, I won’t be in a church or private setting where a flash will disturb anyone.
Speaking of flash, is the general recommendation (because it will be 20% off still with my purchase) the 430EX II? Seems like a great featured flash for under $200.

So in summary, will the 60D with a 15-85 and a 430EXII fit my bill of shooting style, with room to grow into other interests? Of course the nifty fifty is also on my list after purchase. Any criticism is welcomed!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will need a wider frame to accommodate the cars and capture the detail of the accents, right? Once again, the long zoom up to 135 does not really appeal to me.

With a wider lens, you also get more distortion. If some distortion of car details is acceptable, then o.k., but you might be surprised at the useful range of the zoom.

How about the 17-55 f/2.8?
Where are you finding the 60D and kit lens for that price?

Thanks for the reply's so far! The 60D body only from the CLP is $639.97. With the kit lens I believe it is around $831. I have heard great things about the 17-55 also, would that be advisable over the 15-85 as a general purpose lens for what I am shooting?

If you're going to take photos of cars or any other highly reflective surface then I'd throw the flash out the window on the drive over to keep me from using it.

I would suggest instead getting a 600 ws monolight (or larger although flashpoint has one with a battery pack from Adorama) and a background stand with a 9 foot wide diffuser. (you can make your own from white rip-stop nylon)

You can also use a black background to subtract light when in daylight- a useful thing at times.

good luck

Most reactions

Back